Connect with us

Grand Slam US Open WTA

Wrist Issue Overshadows Victoria Mboko’s US Open Debut After Montreal Breakthrough

Mboko’s US Open exit and wrist injury after Montreal title raise questions about her 2025 season now

Published

on

Victoria Mboko’s first appearance at the US Open ended in a straight-sets defeat, raising questions about a wrist problem that affected her performance in a 6-2, 6-3 loss to Barbora Krejcikova. The 18-year-old arrived in New York on the back of a breakthrough WTA 1000 title in Montreal earlier this month, a victory that accelerated her rise up the rankings and earned her a seeding at the US Open.

Krejcikova, a two-time Grand Slam champion who has endured a difficult 12 months with injury, capitalised on her opponent’s discomfort to secure a much-needed win. Mboko struggled throughout the match as the wrist issue that surfaced during the latter stages of her Montreal run again limited her movement and shot-making.

Martina Navratilova, reflecting on the match, warned that the problem demands careful management. “That wrist was a real problem and I hope she takes care of it,” Navratilova said. “There’s a lot of body parts you need but you must have a healthy wrist to play tennis. “If it was that bad, why play at all? Again, we don’t know which part was sore but clearly it hampered her. “This is an upset result by ranking upset but not a player upset. Mboko is hampered with her wrist which may be making a difference. “Krejcikova has been in the top 20 for the last four years until she got injured, so it’s been a bad year for her but she’s looked good today.”

Injuries are a common challenge for young players who suddenly increase their workload at the highest level. The path from a rapid rise to consistent performance often requires adjustments in scheduling and recovery. Mboko has indicated she will reflect on the season and the progress she has made.

Advertisement

“To see how far I kind of came in a year, it’s really amazing and to be honest, if anything, I’m super appreciative of everything that I’ve gone through this year to get me to where I am,” she said. “I felt like I was rushing myself a little bit and needed to take more time between points and find a solution to be at ease with myself and eventually play my game better. “If you told me last year I would have been seeded here at the U.S. Open – or even playing the U.S. Open, let alone – I would have been so happy. “There’s some positives to take away. I feel like this is the start of a long journey.”

Grand Slam US Open WTA

Gauff steadies serve, defeats Freçh to reach US Open fourth round

Gauff limited her double faults to four, defeated Freçh 6-3, 6-1 and reached the fourth round 2025.

Published

on

Coco Gauff recovered control of a fragile service performance to advance to the Round of 16 at the 2025 US Open, beating Magdalena Freçh 6-3, 6-1 on Arthur Ashe Stadium.

The No. 3 seed needed one hour and 13 minutes to close out the match, committing just four double faults across two sets against the No. 28-seeded Freçh. Gauff, 21, began the match with a 3-0 lead, serving out the opening set while recording a single double fault and a strong 79 percent first-serve rate.

Gauff has drawn scrutiny through the first two rounds after altering her coaching setup to include biomechanic expert Gavin MacMillan as she works on an unreliable service motion. The 2023 US Open champion had captured her second major title at Roland Garros two months earlier, yet entered the hard-court swing with uneven results, including early exits at Wimbledon and other events and a recurring problem of double-digit double faults often described as the “yips.”

Before Saturday, Gauff reached the third round with hard-fought night-session victories over Ajla Tomljanovic and Donna Vekic. Her form on serve against Freçh offered a steadier display: she broke in the third game of the second set, added another break two games later, and dropped only two points on serve while opening a 4-1 advantage.

Advertisement

Freçh, a 27-year-old from Poland, had not previously won consecutive matches at the US Open before this year. She reached the third round by rallying from a set down to defeat Peyton Stearns, securing a career-best result at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.

As Freçh pushed late, Gauff served a fourth double fault but saved a break point with a well-struck volley and saw out the victory. The result sends Gauff into the fourth round at Flushing Meadows for the fourth consecutive year.

Continue Reading

Analytics & Stats ATP US Open

Wilander backs Carlos Alcaraz as the player to beat at US Open, passing over Jannik Sinner

Wilander: Alcaraz ‘focused’ and ‘pretty perfect’ after three rounds; seen as the man to beat. (2025)

Published

on

Mats Wilander has pointed to Carlos Alcaraz as the player to beat at this year’s US Open, citing the Spaniard’s form through three rounds and a level of focus that has impressed the former world No 1. “Alcaraz is playing extremely well,” said Wilander. “He’s unbelievably focused, the movement is just so good it seems impossible to hit the ball past him. “His forehand, he said himself is not perfect, to me it looks pretty perfect, and he is serving well. “Early in the tournament, for once, he looks like the man to beat.”

Alcaraz reached the last 16 with a 6-2, 6-4, 6-0 win over Lucas Darderi, having not dropped a set in his prior matches. He entered the tournament having won 30 of his last 31 matches, his only recent loss coming to Jannik Sinner in the Wimbledon final.

Sinner, the defending champion, remains a favourite for many and, like Alcaraz, had not dropped a set at this stage of the event.

Alcaraz will next meet world No 82 Arthur Rinderknech, who recovered from a set down to Benjamin Bonzi. Earlier in the tournament Rinderknech had survived a five-set match with Alejandro Davidovich Fokina. The world No 2 has beaten Rinderknech on three occasions, two of those matches going the distance. Their closest meeting finished 4-6, 7-5, 7-6(3) at Queen’s Club in 2023, a result that helped propel Alcaraz to his first Wimbledon title.

Advertisement

“Rinderknech has a big serve and big game,” analysed the Swede. “He can rush Alcaraz, maybe take the second serve return and come to the net, maybe hit the ball really hard down the middle and come to the net, do something that will surprise Alcaraz. “I think he has a chance to at least win a set.”

Alcaraz has a history of strong results at the US Open, reaching the quarter-finals on his first appearance at 18 and winning the title in 2022, but his straight-set defeat last year to Botic Van de Zandschulp has remained a point of reference. “I’m just trying not to do the same things as last year,” Alcaraz analysed. “Trying to improve and do the things much better. Every time that I step on the court, I’m just locked in from the first point until the last one. “I’m taking last year as motivation coming into this year, be more hungry, ambitious to do great things here. “This is a place that I love playing. The energy is crazy, so I’m just trying to feel the love and the energy from the people much more and playing as much matches as I can, that motivates me.”

On Rinderknech, Alcaraz added: “He’s really difficult to play against, really aggressive, big serve, trying to go to the net. “So it’s going to be really difficult, but as I said, I’m just trying to be focused on myself, that I’m playing great tennis, and I’m feeling really comfortable physically, mentally, and just feeling the ball really well. “I will try to think just about my goals, about myself, and let’s see, but it’s going to be a really interesting one.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

ATP Player News US Open

Djokovic concedes retirement questions as he advances to US Open last 16

Djokovic reached the US Open fourth round, tied his US Open aces record and noted retirement doubts.

Published

on

Novak Djokovic moved into the fourth round of the US Open with a four-set victory over world No 35 Cameron Norrie, winning 6-4, 6-7 (4), 6-2, 6-3. The win was his 192nd victory at hard-court Grand Slams, a record, and included 18 aces, tying his own US Open mark.

The result continued a remarkably consistent season for the 38-year-old, who has reached the semi-final at the other three Grand Slams this year. Djokovic at times did not look entirely comfortable, taking an off-court medical timeout for an apparent back issue during the match.

Asked about retirement, Djokovic was candid in his response. He said: “I think I was quite honest in the press conference after the Wimbledon semifinals, I gave some clues about what’s on my mind,” the 24-time Grand Slam champion admitted, when asked if he is thinking about retirement.

“I mean, of course, now I ask myself more questions than ever about how long I want to continue at this level and how I want to approach my schedule to extend my career because I really want to keep playing.

Advertisement

“I still enjoy competing; I can be very demanding of myself and my team, I know that, but I still feel that I have game left, you know, to play at the highest level.

“As I’ve said several times, as long as I feel that level is still alive, still present, I feel like I want to move forward. I want to keep pushing to see if I can have another opportunity in a Grand Slam or any major tournament.

“And also enjoy the support and affection I have received in recent years, which has been incredible wherever I have gone, and I really enjoy that feeling.

“There are other reasons and motivations why I keep playing.

“But yes, there is also an internal debate within me, but I try to focus my thoughts and attention on this very present moment of what needs to be done, so I keep competing, and I might get a little more philosophical when the tournament ends, but I will try to focus on the next challenge here”.

Advertisement

The back discomfort, while appearing minor in New York, is part of a season in which Djokovic has battled a series of physical problems. At Wimbledon he suffered a hip injury after slipping in his quarter-final and then struggled against Jannik Sinner. In January he tore his hamstring against Carlos Alcaraz and later retired against Alexander Zverev in the Australian Open semi-finals.

When questioned specifically about his back he said: “Honestly, I don’t think I can do much more than what I’m doing know,” and highlighted the reality of biological age and wear and tear. Djokovic will next face Jan-Lennard Struff in the last 16.

Continue Reading

Trending