Player News US Open WTA
Taylor Townsend’s Return: From a USTA Rebuff to a Round-of-16 Run at the Open
Thirteen years after a USTA wild-card denial, Taylor Townsend has found her rhythm at the Open now..

Taylor Townsend has turned a long, stop-start career into a striking return to the later stages of a major. The 29-year-old Chicago native, who won the junior Australian Open at 15 in 2012 and became the first American in 30 years to finish a season No. 1 in the girls’ rankings, beat No. 5 seed Mirra Andreeva 7-5, 6-2 to reach the round of 16.
“I wasn’t searching for anything, I wasn’t looking, trying to find answers,” Townsend said after the victory. “I had all the answers in here.”
Townsend’s path has been uneven. In 2012 the USTA told her to sit out both the US Open girls’ and women’s events because of her weight. Since then she has climbed into the Top 100 and fallen out of the Top 300 multiple times. She has reinvented herself, though, as a top-level doubles player: she is a two-time Grand Slam doubles champion and reached the mixed final last year with Donald Young. “Standing here today with Donald means the world to me because he’s been in my life forever,” she said.
Against Andreeva, Townsend kept control when her opponent threatened a second-set comeback, selecting when to attack and finishing key points. “I’m a totally different person than I was in 2019, and I think that that showed,” Townsend said of the match. “I was so confident and so sure of myself and what I was doing and how I was executing, that it didn’t matter if I hit the back fence, hit the bottom of the net, it didn’t matter. I just kept going.”
The crowd in Arthur Ashe Stadium rallied behind her after a confrontation earlier in the tournament with Jelena Ostapenko, who had criticized Townsend’s behavior during a warm-up. Townsend said she did not know if Ostapenko’s comments had “racial overtones.”—”that’s something she can speak on.” “If my son were to see this interaction, how would he view it? I think he would be proud of the way that I handled the situation.” Ostapenko issued an apology on Saturday.
Townsend now faces Barbora Krejcikova on Sunday, a player who won their only previous match in 2017. “That’s what’s really cool about tennis in these moments—you’re able to reflect and look even at the mannerisms and how I carried myself then and now, you’ll be able to see it’s a different woman.”
ATP Player News
Medvedev and Gilles Cervara end eight-season partnership after 2025 US Open exit
Medvedev splits with coach Gilles Cervara after US Open exit and disappointing 2025 season. Details.

Daniil Medvedev and long-time coach Gilles Cervara have confirmed the end of their working relationship days after the Russian’s dramatic exit from the 2025 US Open. The split was announced in statements from both parties following a five-set defeat to Benjamin Bonzi in New York.
Medvedev’s disappointing season continued in that match, which also resulted in a $42,000 fine for his on-court behaviour. The 29-year-old argued with umpire Greg Allensworth for six minutes after the decision to re-award Bonzi a first serve when a photographer stepped onto the court. Bonzi had been holding match point on serve; Medvedev rallied to take the third and fourth sets but lost the deciding set after surrendering a lead.
The US Open defeat followed an earlier loss to Bonzi in the opening round of Wimbledon, and came after a poor run at the other majors this season. Medvedev was beaten in the opening round of the French Open by Cameron Norrie and fell in round two of the Australian Open to Learner Tien. He has not won a title since the 2023 Italian Open, has not reached a Grand Slam final since the 2024 Australian Open, and is currently down at world No 16 in the ATP Live Rankings.
The decision to part ways with Cervara ends a highly successful eight-season collaboration. Under Cervara’s guidance Medvedev lifted the 2021 US Open title, reached a further five major finals and held the world No 1 ranking in 2022. Cervara posted a lengthy message on Instagram reflecting on their time together and thanking Medvedev:
“He wrote: “Daniil. Our fantastic eight-season adventure together comes to an end. Like a symbolic wink of life, it’s after this US Open tournament that we end our collaboration.
“I am grateful and happy for all the great things and wonderful experiences we were able to experience together on the court during these eight years. It will remain etched in my memory forever.
“I thank you for placing your trust in me. I gave EVERYTHING, every second, for our shared goals. I loved training you, coaching you, supporting you (even when it was difficult), and finding solutions with you and the team to help you perform.
“I will keep in mind your unconventional magic as a player, which is your strength. It will return, I’m sure.
“I wish you all the success you aspire to as a player in the future. And a happy life as a man.
“The road continues, work and performance call to each of us…and I wish us both success.”
Cervara’s message was followed shortly by a brief message from Medvedev, also on Instagram, thanking the Frenchman for his efforts.
“Thank you Gilles,” said Medvedev.
“Amazing 8-10 years together, 20 titles, world number 1 but most importantly a lot of fun moments and memories that will stay with us forever.
“I am grateful to you for guiding me through all these years and let’s see what life brings us in the future.”
The announcement closes a chapter that delivered the sport’s biggest prize to Medvedev and raised questions about the next coaching appointment as he seeks to arrest a dip in form.
Player News US Open WTA
Taylor Townsend’s US Open run: points gained, ranking jump and prize money so far
Townsend’s surge at the 2025 US Open has delivered major ranking points and a huge prize-money jump.

Taylor Townsend has emerged as one of the tournament’s most talked-about competitors at the 2025 US Open. The 29-year-old, a home favourite who entered the draw unseeded, is one of only 16 women remaining in New York after an eye-catching run to the fourth round.
Townsend reached round three and then produced a straight-sets win over fifth seed Mirra Andreeva to advance. Her campaign began with an opening victory over Antonia Ruzic and included a subsequent win over Ostapenko that moved her through the early rounds.
By reaching the fourth round of her home major — only the second time she has reached week two of a Grand Slam singles event — Townsend has collected 240 ranking points this week. That is up from the 70 points she earned for reaching round two in 2024, a provisional increase of 170 points. As things stand, she is projected to leap 28 places to around world No 111 after the tournament.
If Townsend can defeat Barbora Krejcikova in the fourth round, she would earn 430 ranking points and move back inside the top 100, to an approximate ranking of world No 85 in the WTA Live Rankings.
The US Open’s increased prize-money structure in 2025 has also worked in Townsend’s favour. Entry to the main draw guaranteed $110,000 for round one; her opening victory lifted that total to $154,000 for round two. A subsequent win over Ostapenko increased her singles prize-money to $237,000, and by reaching the fourth round she has secured a minimum of $400,000 for her singles campaign.
That sum represents a notable rise on the $280,000 Townsend earned for reaching the fourth round in 2019, the only previous occasion she reached the second week of a major singles event. A victory over Krejcikova would take her to a first major quarter-final and to $660,000 in singles prize money for the tournament.
Player News WTA
Ostapenko responds after controversy over remarks aimed at Townsend at US Open
Ostapenko issues statement after remarks about Taylor Townsend that drew racial criticism at US Open.

Jelena Ostapenko has moved to address the controversy that followed her post-match comments about Taylor Townsend at the US Open. Townsend defeated Ostapenko in their match, and Ostapenko later said the American should have apologised for a net cord. That criticism escalated when Ostapenko described Townsend as having “no education” and “no class.”
Those words were interpreted by many observers, particularly in America, as carrying a racial undertone. Townsend was visibly shocked by the exchange and the story has become one of the dominant talking points of this year’s US Open, casting Ostapenko in an unfavourable light.
Ostapenko has issued a statement insisting her comment had no racial undertones and then offered additional remarks in an effort to calm the situation. “English is not my native language so when I said education, I was speaking only about what I believe as tennis etiquette, but I understand how the words I used could have offended many people beyond the tennis court,” she said. “I appreciate the support as I continue to learn and grow as a person and a tennis player. Goodbye New York and I look forward to being back next year.”
Townsend has emerged as a prominent figure at the 2025 US Open in America and extended her run with a win over No 5 seed Mirra Andreeva. On court she reflected on the recent attention: “I’m really just proud that I kept the main thing the main thing,” she said. “I want to say thank you to everyone who supported me over these last 48 hours. It’s bigger than me. It’s about the message, it’s about the representation, it’s about being bold and being able to show up as yourself, and I did that.”
The episode drew comment from other high-profile players. “I think obviously it’s one of the worst things you can say to a black tennis player in a majority white sport,” who is through to the fourth round, where she will face Coco Gauff. “Granted, I know Taylor and I know how hard she’s worked and I know how smart she is, so she’s the furthest thing from uneducated or anything like that. If you are genuinely asking me about the history of Ostapenko, I don’t think that’s the craziest thing she has said. It was bad timing and the worst person she could have said that to. I don’t know if she knows the history of it in America and she will never say that again, but it’s just terrible. That was really bad.”
Ostapenko’s most recent statement acknowledges the hurt caused, but the controversy is likely to remain a defining moment from this US Open for her.
-
Grand SlamPlayer NewsWimbledon1 month ago
Amanda Anisimova vows to return stronger after being ‘frozen’ with nerves during Wimbledon final defeat
-
Player NewsWTA1 month ago
Zheng Qinwen to take “short break” following elbow surgery
-
Grand SlamWimbledonWTA1 month ago
Slices, sabbaticals and a strong team key to SW19 success?