ATP Grand Slam US Open
US Open shocks: Shelton and Tiafoe depart, Alcaraz and Djokovic advantaged
Shelton and Tiafoe exit in third round, making Alcaraz and Djokovic’s path in New York clearer now.

Two significant American exits in the third round reshaped the bottom half of the US Open draw on Friday. Ben Shelton and Frances Tiafoe left the tournament inside an hour of each other, removing two likely obstacles for No 2 seed Carlos Alcaraz and No 7 seed Novak Djokovic.
Shelton, a 2023 US Open semi-finalist and the world No 6, was forced to retire with a shoulder injury while level at 6-3, 3-6, 6-4, 4-6 in his third round match against world No 77 Adrian Mannarino on Louis Armstrong Stadium. He sustained the problem diving to win the third set. After telling his father and coach Bryan he was experiencing “more pain than he has ever felt on a tennis court”, Shelton attempted to continue but could not, leaving the court in tears. The 22-year-old had arrived in New York on the back of winning his biggest title in Toronto, reaching the Cincinnati quarter-finals and pushing top players in previous events; he had also produced clinical wins in his two matches before facing Mannarino.
Shortly afterwards, world No 17 Frances Tiafoe, a US Open semi-finalist in both 2022 and 2024, was upset 6-4, 6-3, 7-6(7) by 144th-ranked qualifier Lan-Lennard Struff on Grandstand court. Tiafoe held a set point in the third set but was outplayed by the 35-year-old German, who has impressed by winning six matches in New York including qualifying.
Those exits alter the projected routes. Alcaraz had been projected to meet Shelton in the quarter-finals despite leading their head-to-head 3-0; instead, if Alcaraz progresses past 82nd-ranked Arthur Rinderknech he would face either Mannarino or 21st seed Jiri Lehecka. Djokovic, who would have met Tiafoe in the last 16 had the American prevailed, holds a 1-0 record against Tiafoe (2-0 including Laver Cup) and a 7-0 record against Struff, having lost only one set in their previous meetings. The changing shape of the bottom half increases the prospect of a high-profile Alcaraz versus Djokovic semi-final.
ATP Grand Slam US Open
Sinner Improves to 18-0 in Grand Slam Third Rounds After US Open Win
Sinner beat Shapovalov 5-7, 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 to reach US Open fourth round; now 18-0 in third rounds. .

Jannik Sinner advanced to the fourth round of the US Open on Saturday, extending an unusual streak in his Grand Slam record. The world No. 1 overcame Denis Shapovalov in four sets, winning 5-7, 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 to move through at Flushing Meadows.
Sinner dropped the opening set but recovered to take the next three, sealing passage into the tournament’s fourth round. The victory left the top-ranked player unbeaten in third-round matches at Grand Slam events, a specific run that now stands at 18-0.
SINNER IN THIRD-ROUND MATCHES AT GRAND SLAMS: 18-0
The scoreline of 5-7, 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 is the recorded result from the third-round meeting with Denis Shapovalov. That outcome ensured Sinner would continue in the US Open draw and preserved his perfect record in this particular stage of Grand Slam competition.
Analytics & Stats ATP US Open
Wilander backs Carlos Alcaraz as the player to beat at US Open, passing over Jannik Sinner
Wilander: Alcaraz ‘focused’ and ‘pretty perfect’ after three rounds; seen as the man to beat. (2025)

Mats Wilander has pointed to Carlos Alcaraz as the player to beat at this year’s US Open, citing the Spaniard’s form through three rounds and a level of focus that has impressed the former world No 1. “Alcaraz is playing extremely well,” said Wilander. “He’s unbelievably focused, the movement is just so good it seems impossible to hit the ball past him. “His forehand, he said himself is not perfect, to me it looks pretty perfect, and he is serving well. “Early in the tournament, for once, he looks like the man to beat.”
Alcaraz reached the last 16 with a 6-2, 6-4, 6-0 win over Lucas Darderi, having not dropped a set in his prior matches. He entered the tournament having won 30 of his last 31 matches, his only recent loss coming to Jannik Sinner in the Wimbledon final.
Sinner, the defending champion, remains a favourite for many and, like Alcaraz, had not dropped a set at this stage of the event.
Alcaraz will next meet world No 82 Arthur Rinderknech, who recovered from a set down to Benjamin Bonzi. Earlier in the tournament Rinderknech had survived a five-set match with Alejandro Davidovich Fokina. The world No 2 has beaten Rinderknech on three occasions, two of those matches going the distance. Their closest meeting finished 4-6, 7-5, 7-6(3) at Queen’s Club in 2023, a result that helped propel Alcaraz to his first Wimbledon title.
“Rinderknech has a big serve and big game,” analysed the Swede. “He can rush Alcaraz, maybe take the second serve return and come to the net, maybe hit the ball really hard down the middle and come to the net, do something that will surprise Alcaraz. “I think he has a chance to at least win a set.”
Alcaraz has a history of strong results at the US Open, reaching the quarter-finals on his first appearance at 18 and winning the title in 2022, but his straight-set defeat last year to Botic Van de Zandschulp has remained a point of reference. “I’m just trying not to do the same things as last year,” Alcaraz analysed. “Trying to improve and do the things much better. Every time that I step on the court, I’m just locked in from the first point until the last one. “I’m taking last year as motivation coming into this year, be more hungry, ambitious to do great things here. “This is a place that I love playing. The energy is crazy, so I’m just trying to feel the love and the energy from the people much more and playing as much matches as I can, that motivates me.”
On Rinderknech, Alcaraz added: “He’s really difficult to play against, really aggressive, big serve, trying to go to the net. “So it’s going to be really difficult, but as I said, I’m just trying to be focused on myself, that I’m playing great tennis, and I’m feeling really comfortable physically, mentally, and just feeling the ball really well. “I will try to think just about my goals, about myself, and let’s see, but it’s going to be a really interesting one.”
Analytics & Stats ATP
Chanda Rubin: Shelton’s US Open retirement was a “smart decision” after left-shoulder injury
Rubin: Shelton’s US Open retirement was a “smart decision” after a left-shoulder injury. Scans soon.

Ben Shelton arrived at the 2025 US Open among the contenders but was forced to leave his third-round encounter with Adrian Mannarino because of a left shoulder problem, ultimately retiring after Mannarino took the fourth set, 3-6, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4, ret. The No. 6 seed showed visible pain from the start of the fourth set and, in his first-ever mid-match retirement, left the court uncertain of what had caused the injury or how long recovery might take.
Former Australian Open semifinalist Chanda Rubin said, “It was tough to watch, and you just hope it’s not as serious as it looked in the moment. There’s a lot of things that could go wrong with the shoulder. It could be a really bad impingement; that would be preferable. It could be torn, but maybe not a bad tear, or it could be something that keeps him out for quite a while and even something that could require surgery.
“So hopefully, he can find out that information and he can use it to get back healthy, first and foremost. He’s got the experience of his dad, and we saw Bryan telling him to call it and just get off the court to figure out what this is to get ahead of it. I think that was a smart decision and they’re going to have to make a lot of smart decisions going forward.”
Shelton made his major breakthrough at this event in 2023, upsetting higher-ranked Americans Tommy Paul and Frances Tiafoe to reach his first Grand Slam semifinal, where he pushed eventual champion Novak Djokovic tough over three sets. He entered this fortnight fresh from his first Masters 1000 title earlier this month in Toronto and had been projected to meet former champion Carlos Alcaraz in the quarterfinals.
1998 US Open champion Lindsay Davenport said, “As an American player, this is the tournament you grow up dreaming about trying to win. This is the one that most of us, as junior players, this is the first one we got to step foot in for the majors. You could just see how crushed he was. He has hopes of winning this tournament. He’s been close. He built so much momentum this summer to try and make a run here. He wanted to play Alcaraz in the quarters and see what would happen. So, you could see the heartbreak on him.
“He’ll be back before we know it, but pretty crushing as an American. The first real time you think you have a chance to win here, and then injury takes you out? That’s hard to swallow.”
Fellow former world No. 1 Jim Courier offered a cautious positive note: “That’s the most important shot for him overall, so that doesn’t seem to be troubled by whatever this is. So, that’s my silver lining I’m trying to take from it. I’m sure they’ll be getting scans in New York City today or sometime soon to figure out what they need to do to go forward.”
-
Grand SlamPlayer NewsWimbledon1 month ago
Amanda Anisimova vows to return stronger after being ‘frozen’ with nerves during Wimbledon final defeat
-
Player NewsWTA1 month ago
Zheng Qinwen to take “short break” following elbow surgery
-
Grand SlamWimbledonWTA1 month ago
Slices, sabbaticals and a strong team key to SW19 success?