ATP Australian Open Grand Slam
Five things to watch on Australian Open Day 2: Gauff’s serve, Djokovic’s 25th push
Serve motion under scrutiny for Gauff; Anisimova, Eala, Andreeva and Djokovic headline Day 2. Roundup
The first Sunday produced surprises and set the table for a fuller Monday at the Australian Open. Venus Williams lost a close one, Flavio Cobolli lost decisively, Carlos Alcaraz won without Juan Carlos Ferrero courtside, Michael Zheng upset Seb Korda and Marta Kostyuk exited earlier than some expected. With the 2026 season now under way, Monday’s slate offers a first extended look at several players.
One: Coco Gauff’s service motion. By motion, I mean service motion, of course. Gauff spent the off-season working with serve specialist Gavin MacMillan and showed signs of a smoother delivery at United Cup, even if double faults remained an issue. She opens in Laver against 91st-ranked Kamilla Rakhimova. Gauff, who reached the semis and quarters the last two years in Melbourne, won their only prior meeting in Beijing, 6-4, 6-0.
Two: Amanda Anisimova’s consistency. The 24-year-old, eight years on tour, rocketed from No. 36 to No. 4 last season and now faces the task of holding that ground. She lost her first event of 2026 to Kostyuk in Brisbane. On Monday she is second up on Margaret Court Arena against 25-year-old, 86th-ranked Simona Waltert of Switzerland; they have never met.
Three: Alex Eala’s following. The 20-year-old, ranked 49th, draws a vocal Filipino contingent wherever she plays. She makes her Australian Open main-draw debut on Court 6 against Alycia Parks. The two have not met, and Eala arrives off a semifinal run in Auckland.
Four: Mirra Andreeva’s early-season form. The 18-year-old faces Donna Vekic, 29 and ranked 72, who pushed Andreeva to 6-4 in the third in their only meeting. Andreeva rose into the Top 10 after defeating Aryna Sabalenka in the Indian Wells final last spring but faded late in 2025 and missed the WTA Finals. She has started 2026 at 6-1 and won Adelaide without dropping a set.
Five: Novak Djokovic’s title chase. Making his season debut after withdrawing from Adelaide, the 38-year-old has set a tempering line for himself. “24 is not a bad number,” Djokovic says he has been telling himself lately. He faces 20-year-old Pedro Martinez, ranked 71, a Spaniard whose lone title came on clay and who has been as high as 36. Martinez’s consistency should force Djokovic to work for the win.
ATP French Open Grand Slam
Alexander Blockx on meeting Medvedev, Madrid surge and Goffin’s legacy
Blockx reflects on meeting Medvedev, Madrid run and his bid for a first Roland Garros win at RG 2026
Alexander Blockx arrives at Roland Garros still chasing his first major match win, but he has arrived at the tournament with momentum after a breakout start to 2026.
Earlier this week he appeared alongside Grand Slam champions Iga Swiatek and Daniil Medvedev at a Tecnifibre event. As a child he had commemorated a visit to Turin by having his photo taken with Medvedev. “It was my first appearance at the Next Gen Finals as a fan back then. He was already a professional tennis player at the highest level,” Blockx reflected.
“I knew I had a very long way to go, but somewhere I also knew I would get there one day as well. It’s definitely special to be here now and go through everything he has been going through as well. It’s nice to see that the work paid off.”
So far in 2026 Blockx has moved into the ATP Top 40. The Antwerp native reached the semifinals of the Mutua Madrid Open, knocking off Felix Auger-Aliassime, Francisco Cerundolo and Casper Ruud along the way. That run came between a pair of wins at Monte Carlo and Rome, a sequence that has raised expectations without changing his daily approach.
“For me personally, not much has changed. Of course the ranking is higher now but I’m still doing the same things,” he says. “Maybe the players recognize me a bit more, but I’ll still be playing tennis as if I have no ranking. It’s just the process for me. I will always like it.”
Blockx is now Belgium’s No. 1. Zizou Bergs sits just two spots behind him in the rankings and Raphael Collignon is establishing himself as a Top 100 mainstay, signaling a new generation emerging at home.
David Goffin made his final French Open appearance earlier this week in the second round of qualifying. Reflecting on Goffin’s record and influence, Blockx was emphatic. “I think he was the best Belgian male tennis player we ever had. Did a lot of great things. Brought Belgium to the Davis Cup Finals two times, played the finals at the Nitto ATP Finals. If we could sign a paper with his career, we would immediately sign it,” declared Blockx.
“It’s definitely something we cannot take for granted. It’s sad that he will be retiring at the end of the season but at the other side, he’s had an amazing career. The next generation is competing so high right now, Raphael and Zizou are playing amazing tennis this year. He definitely has a few Belgians to back him up in the future.”
ATP French Open Grand Slam
Arthur Fils withdraws from Roland Garros before opener with Stan Wawrinka
Arthur Fils withdrew from Roland Garros with an injury, withdrawing before his match with Wawrinka…
Arthur Fils has withdrawn from Roland Garros and will not play his scheduled first-round match against Stan Wawrinka. The French Tennis Federation listed “an injury” as the reason for the withdrawal, removing a seeded player from the men’s draw.
Fils had earlier retired four games into his Rome opener against Andrea Pellegrino because of a hip issue. He had offered an optimistic update on social media shortly afterward: “Felt something during the match in Rome,” he wrote on X. “I ran all the tests with the team and everything is clear. Already back to work for Paris. Thanks for the messages.”
This is the second consecutive year that an injury has disrupted Fils’s campaign at his home major. A year ago he pushed through a second-round clash with Jaume Munar but sustained a stress fracture in his back that ultimately sidelined him for eight months.
The 21-year-old had staged a notable comeback this season after missing the Australian Open, advancing to the final in Doha and the semifinals in Miami. He also won in Barcelona and compiled nine consecutive clay wins, a run that included a deep showing in Madrid, where he reached the final four.
Organizers and fans will now adjust to the change in the draw following the seed’s late withdrawal. The development truncates a much-anticipated meeting with a former major champion and removes one of the young French players expected to feature on the clay at Roland Garros.
© 2026 Tim Clayton
ATP French Open Grand Slam
Djokovic upbeat on Roland Garros fitness as he aims for 25th major
Djokovic, on his 39th birthday, said his body has improved in the past 10 days for Roland Garros. in
Speaking in Paris on his 39th birthday, Novak Djokovic acknowledged a difficult spell with his body over recent months but said recent preparation has been encouraging as he arrives at Roland Garros chasing a record 25th Grand Slam.
He admitted he had endured “challenging times with [his] body through the last six to eight months.” The 24-time major champion reached the Australian Open final in January — upsetting Jannik Sinner in the semifinals before falling to Carlos Alcaraz — despite entering that tournament without match play.
Djokovic said the clay season offered little competition because of his physical issues. He had “played just one match during the clay-court season, and losing it,” and explained: “I wanted to play more, but my body was not allowing me,” adding, “I\] really wanted to go to Rome \[[where he was visibly ill in a loss to Dino Prizmic ] to give it a shot and try and see how I feel.”
He described needing that lone match as a way to feel match nerves before deciding whether he could play in Paris. “I was far from being ready to compete, but still, I needed at least that one match just to have the score called by chair umpire and have experience of the nerves before I eventually come to Roland Garros, which at that point I didn’t know if I was going to be able to play or not.
“Thankfully, the response of the body and the preparation has been positive in the last 10 days, so here I am, and we’ll see what happens.”
Placed in the bottom half of the draw for his 22nd Roland Garros appearance, Djokovic noted the absence of Carlos Alcaraz was unfortunate for the event but said it did not materially alter his approach: “Of course, you know, it’s a big blow for the tournament not to have him,” and “Whether that changes my approach to this tournament, I don’t think it does significantly change.”
On his priorities, he reiterated the focus on major events: “[I spent] lots of hours spent on the court and trying to perfect the game and the body and enable myself physically and game-wise to be ready for best-of-five,” he added. “Let’s see. I don’t know whether that’s going to be the case, you know, for the entire tournament, however long that tournament will be for me.
“Grand Slams have been, I mean, I have said this many times, always the priority list, particularly last couple of years. So I always try to aim to be at the peak of my own abilities to perform well in Grand Slams. So can’t wait to get on a court and start competing.”
-
1000Italian OpenMasters3 weeks agoSwiatek recovered from Madrid illness, praises Francisco Roig as she targets fourth Rome title
-
1000Miami OpenMiami Open WTA2 months agoMiami Final Underlines Coco Gauff’s Progress and Clay-Court Promise
-
1000ATPMiami Open2 months agoSinner Downs Zverev in Miami Semifinal, One Win From Sunshine Double
