Challenger Tour Murica Challenger
Jaime Alcaraz Claims Under-15 Crown at Murica Challenger as Carlos Falls Short in Sunshine Double
Jaime Alcaraz, 14, won the under-15 at the Murica Challenger while Carlos lost to Sebastian Korda. .
Fourteen-year-old Jaime Alcaraz took a meaningful step in his junior progression this week, winning the under-15 division at the Murica Challenger and standing alongside tournament champion Pablo Carreno Busta. The youngest Alcaraz brother drew attention for the way he carried himself on court, often echoing mannerisms associated with his elder sibling.
The family experienced mixed fortunes on the professional circuit at the same time. Carlos Alcaraz’s attempt to complete the Sunshine Double ended on Sunday when he was beaten by an inspired Sebastian Korda. While Carlos saw his own run finish, a champion’s trophy was returning to the household courtesy of Jaime’s victory in the junior bracket.
Observers noted Jaime’s promise and the similarities in his on-court comportment to his older brother. Their relationship and Carlos’s perspective on Jaime have been public on more than one occasion. Last year at the Australian Open, Carlos said he was proud of his youngest brother, who was contesting the prestigious Les Petit As tournament at the time, for “playing those tournaments the same as I played when I was his age,” while keeping expectations realistic.
Carlos has also described his role in Jaime’s development as largely supportive. “I’m just trying to support him, being supportive for him, trying to [take away] all the pressure that people put on him,” he said. “I’m just happy to see him growing and … becoming, let’s say, a grown man.”
Jaime’s title in Murcia marks an early highlight in his pathway and offers a reminder that talent within a family can emerge on different schedules. For now, the Alcaraz household leaves the week with both disappointment and cause for optimism: Carlos halted in his Sunshine Double bid, and Jaime celebrating a notable junior triumph.
ATP Challenger 100 Challenger Tour
From Challenger Breakthroughs to Tour Momentum for Ruud, Fils, Tiafoe, de Minaur and Norrie
Challenger titles gave early momentum and confidence to players on the path to the ATP Tour. always.
The ATP Challenger Tour remains the essential first proving ground for players advancing toward the ATP Tour. For many established names the first Challenger title delivered ranking points, belief and a clear sign of progress.
“Guys at that level, they’re hungry,” says Tiafoe. “They’re trying to really start making a living, they’ve got families. They don’t care that you’re a junior phenom.” Frances Tiafoe recorded his first ATP Challenger Tour title in Granby, Canada (August 2016).
“It was a kind of a surreal introduction to the Challenger Tour,” Ruud says. “I entered qualies for this ATP Challenger in Sevilla, ranked about 550… I ended up winning the whole thing.” Casper Ruud’s first Challenger title came in Sevilla, Spain (September 2016).
“Winning the tournament was for me a bit shocking,” Fils recalls. “But I’m very happy with that victory, I remember it was one of the most important for me.” Arthur Fils earned his first Challenger crown in Oeiras, Portugal (January 2023).
“Once I won that tournament, it gave me so much confidence to feel like I was really progressing,” Norrie says. “It definitely tests your mental ability and your actual tennis ability as well.” Cameron Norrie captured his first Challenger title in Binghampton, NY, U.S.A. (July 2017).
“As a junior, you’re coming on after winning so many matches and feeling great about yourself. Then, all of a sudden, you get onto the Tour and you’re not winning as much. It really hits your confidence, and you have to learn how to deal with those losses,” says De Minaur. Alex de Minaur’s first Challenger triumph was in Nottingham, U.K. (June 2018).
Across these accounts the pattern is clear: early Challenger success offers a mix of practical rewards and psychological momentum. This week: Tune in to see Alejandro Tabilo, Jaume Munar and Zizou Bergs in Valencia.
Challenger 100 Challenger Tour Danube Upper Austria Open by SKE
Safiullin completes 12-match run with second straight Challenger title in Mauthausen
Safiullin won in Mauthausen to reach 12 straight wins, his second consecutive Challenger title. Now.
Roman Safiullin completed a remarkable run on the ATP Challenger Tour by capturing the Danube Upper Austria Open by SKE in Mauthausen, his second straight Challenger crown. The 28-year-old extended his winning streak to 12 matches after arriving in Austria fresh from victory at the Oeiras Open 125 in Portugal.
In Sunday’s final, Safiullin defeated seventh-seeded Jaime Faria 4-6, 6-4, 7-6(4) in two hours and 22 minutes. Faria struck first to take the opening set, but Safiullin raised his aggression to level the match and held his nerve in a decisive third-set tiebreak, sealing the win with a forehand winner in front of packed stands.
“It was a really tough match,” Safiullin said afterwards. “Congratulations to Jaime for a great week – he improved round by round. It wasn’t the highest level at the beginning, but it became very intense towards the end. I’m very happy with the win – it feels great.” The Podolsk native also praised the event: “It feels like home here – from the courts to the hotel, everything is perfect.”
The title was Safiullin’s eighth ATP Challenger crown, won in eight finals, and underlines his comeback after missing the second half of the 2025 season through injury. “I am feeling good,” said the former world No. 36. “Winning a Challenger after the injury was very nice. I am on the way back – not 100 per cent yet, but very close, and I still have room to improve.” He practices most weeks in Marbella, Spain.
Safiullin earned €23,750 and 100 ATP Ranking points and sits at world No. 144. His immediate plans include a training block, a return to Oeiras and a trip to Roland Garros qualifying.
Faria, 22, left Mauthausen buoyed by the run. “It’s my second final this year. Even if it’s another loss, it’s a very good start to the season,” he said. “Roman is an incredible player. I’ll try to follow him in the rankings and hopefully see him again at the big tournaments soon.” The Portuguese is currently world No. 119 and reached a career-high of 87 in early 2025.
Tournament director Florian Leitgeb praised the week: “Overall, we are very pleased. We were fortunate with the weather, which is crucial for an outdoor event. Of course, it’s a pity that no Austrian made it through qualifying but having Lukas Neumayer reach the final weekend was a great story for the home crowd.” He also noted the rising costs faced by organisers: “We try to provide the best possible conditions for players and get as close as possible to ATP 250 standards. But you feel the rising costs – sometimes it’s the small things, like running eight cars for player transport around the clock. During the week, that alone can mean around €4,000 in fuel.”
Challenger 175 Challenger Tour Sardegna Open
Arnaldi triumphs in Sardegna; Tabilo completes repeat in Aix
Arnaldi claims Sardegna Open; Tabilo secures second Aix title, both regain confidence and momentum..
Matteo Arnaldi finally delivered a home victory at the Sardegna Open, beating Hubert Hurkacz 6-4, 6-4 to lift the title on the clay of the Tennis Club Cagliari. The 25-year-old from Sanremo claimed his fifth ATP Challenger crown and did so after a week in which he regained rhythm, confidence and his physical form following a persistent foot problem.
In front of a sold-out Centre Court, Arnaldi fought back in both sets, immediately answering whenever Hurkacz threatened to seize momentum. He neutralized the Pole’s power with steady returns and variation, breaking back each time he trailed and then taking control when the breaks arrived. The decisive passage came at 4-3 in the second set, when Hurkacz had his last real chance. Arnaldi held and served out the match to love, sealing victory with a forehand winner and a roar of relief.
“It was a special tournament,” said Arnaldi, who earned €43,635 in prize money as well as 175 ATP Ranking points. “I arrived with a lot of doubts because of my foot, but I felt better day by day. In the last two days, I had no pain at all. The final was definitely my best match of the week. I was very solid and really happy with my level against such an experienced and dangerous opponent. This title gives me a lot of confidence.”
Over in Southern France, Alejandro Tabilo captured the Open Aix Provence Crédit Agricole title for a second time, overcoming Zizou Bergs 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 in a three-set final. The No. 2 seed withstood nine aces, broke serve three times and closed the match in two hours and 18 minutes. The ATP Challenger 175 event drew 30,000 spectators across the week and showcased two top-50 players, with Tabilo at No. 43 and Bergs at No. 44.
The 28-year-old added a seventh ATP Challenger title to his record and repeated his success in Aix after his 2024 triumph. “It was a very tough match,” Tabilo said afterwards. “Zizou serves very well, he’s extremely solid and mentally strong. I really like playing in Aix-en-Provence. I already won here two years ago. It’s a place where I feel comfortable. I came here to earn points, and this week has given me a lot of confidence.”
-
ATPMastersMiami Open2 months agoTsitsipas praises Shelton and Ruud as player vlogs gain momentum
-
ATPBNP Paribas OpenMasters2 months agoRafael Jodar’s Rapid Rise: From No. 908 to the Edge of the Top 100
-
ATPMastersMiami Open2 months agoAlcaraz cites Doncic ‘magic’ after composed Miami Open win over Joao Fonseca
