Connect with us

ATP Tour News

Djokovic’s Cincinnati setback leaves questions before US Open

Djokovic’s Cincinnati defeat raised concern after breathing issues in heat and humidity.

Published

on

Novak Djokovic’s loss in Cincinnati has prompted fresh concern about his condition with the 2026 US Open approaching, according to a former WTA Tour player.

The world No. 5 was beaten 6-2, 4-6, 4-6 by 50th-ranked Tirante in the second round of the Masters 1000 event on Saturday. It was Djokovic’s first match since his straight-set defeat to Jannik Sinner in the Wimbledon semi-finals.

Djokovic began strongly, taking the opening set against the 25-year-old Argentine, but the match turned into a physical battle in punishing afternoon heat and humidity. For long stretches, the 39-year-old Serbian appeared to struggle with the conditions.

Camille Pin, the retired French player who now works as a commentator, said Djokovic’s difficulties were more troubling than the result itself while speaking on Eurosport France.

Advertisement

“What’s rather odd is that it didn’t happen in a third set after 2 hours and 40 minutes of play,” said Pin, who played between 1999 and 2010.

“From the very beginning of the match, Novak was struggling to breathe, and that’s a pretty bad sign.

“So that’s what’s worrying, more so than the loss to Tirante, who just reached the round of 16 in Montreal by beating [Taylor] Fritz.

“Why did he feel so much discomfort in the humidity, when he’s won this tournament three times?

Advertisement

“Of course, he’s not the same age, but he’s still incredibly fit. He’ll have to check with his team before the US Open.”

After the match, Djokovic said he has been managing a health problem that creates “a lot of issues” in difficult weather.

“It’s just a condition that I have, health-wise, that has been bothering me for the past couple of years. A lot of issues, especially when it is humid and it is hot,” the 24-time Grand Slam champion explained.

“I did anticipate it, but there are all these things, like nerves and everything involved that make it worse, and that’s what happened.”

Advertisement

ATP Tour ATP Tour News

US Open withdrawals widen as North American swing intensifies

Withdrawals mount before the US Open as injuries affect several top ATP and WTA names.

Published

on

As the ATP and WTA Tours continue their North American hardcourt buildup, attention is shifting toward the season’s final Grand Slam at the US Open. The Cincinnati Open is in progress, and many of the leading names in both draws are trying to find the right level before Flushing Meadows.

Even so, the entry lists are already taking shape without several notable players. Nine players have withdrawn from the tournament so far, with eight of those absences coming from the WTA Tour.

Emma Raducanu, Hailey Baptiste and Victoria Mboko are among the most prominent players not set to appear in New York. Mboko and Baptiste both dealt with serious knee injuries earlier in the year, so their absence was expected. Raducanu, however, has also been ruled out through injury. Her stress fracture, which sidelined her at Wimbledon, is serious enough to keep her out of the entire North American hardcourt swing.

She is joined on the list by Ajla Tomljanovic, Varvara Gracheva, Irina-Camelia Begu, Jacqueline Cristian and Laura Siegemund.

Advertisement

WTA Tour star’s who have withdrawn from the US Open

Victoria Mboko (world No 12) > replaced by Mananchaya Sawangkaew

Hailey Baptiste (world No 32) > replaced by Kaitlin Quevedo

Emma Raducanu (world No 49) > replaced by Anna Blinkova

Advertisement

Ajla Tomljanovic (world No 95) > replaced by Ella Seidel

Varvara Gracheva (world No 102) > replaced by Anastasia Zakharova

Irina-Camelia Begu (world No 472) > replaced by Elsa Jacquemot

Jaqueline Cristian (world No 41) > replaced by Darja Vidmanova

Advertisement

Laura Siegemund (world No 89) > replaced by Nadia Podoroska

On the ATP side, only Sebastian Korda has officially withdrawn. The American has not played since the Miami Open and confirmed at the start of August that he had undergone back surgery.

“It’s been 4 months off-court managing pain in my back with a lot of pressure on my sciatica. After different treatments we decided to have a swift surgery that has finally relieved the pain. What a relief,” said Korda in a social media post.

“Massive thank you to Dr. Qureshi and his team. Now it is time to recover, heal and get back to work. Thanks everyone for the support. See ya’ll soon!”

Advertisement

ATP Tour star’s who have withdrawn from the US Open

Sebastian Korda (world No 50) > replaced by Aleksandar Vukic

Korda is the only confirmed men’s withdrawal for now, but uncertainty remains around several others. Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner are still considered doubts, with Alcaraz racing to recover from a wrist injury that has kept him out for five months. Sinner is managing a knee injury and has not played any North American events leading into the Slam.

Holger Rune could also miss the event as he works his way back from an ACL injury suffered at the Stockholm Open in October last year. He has not withdrawn, though. “I see conclusions on me withdrawing from US Open,” he wrote recently on social media. “I did not withdraw. I am working super hard everyday and as soon as I am ready, I am ready. I hope it will be US Open.”

Advertisement

Rune and Alcaraz have been training together in Murcia ahead of the tournament, leaving open the possibility that both could still compete.

Continue Reading

ATP Tour ATP Tour News

Shelton’s Cincinnati setback reignites debate over the ATP Tour calendar

Shelton’s Cincinnati exit revived concerns over the ATP Tour schedule after his Montreal title.

Published

on

Ben Shelton’s run in Cincinnati ended before it ever found momentum, as the American fell in straight sets to Jaime Faria in the second round. The defeat came only days after Shelton had wrapped up the Canadian Open title in Montreal for the second year in a row, a result that had underlined just how sharp his form had been entering the North American hardcourt swing.

That Montreal victory was built on a clean, dominant week. Shelton beat Brandon Nakashima, Learner Tien, Jakub Mensik, and Joao Fonseca on his way to the Masters crown, and he did so without dropping a set. Against that backdrop, his quick exit in Cincinnati stood out as one of the more unexpected results of the week.

It also renewed attention on a long-running issue around ATP Tour scheduling. The back-to-back placement of the Canadian Open and the Cincinnati Open continues to place players in an awkward position, particularly after deep runs the previous week. Shelton’s loss marked the fourth time in five years that the reigning Canadian Open champion has gone out in the opening match at Cincinnati.

The pattern has been clear across recent seasons: Pablo Carreno Busta exited in the opening round in 2022, Jannik Sinner did the same in 2023, Alexei Popyrin followed in 2024, and Shelton reached the quarter-finals in 2025 before his 2026 first-round disappointment. The sequence has only strengthened the argument that the schedule leaves little room for recovery between two demanding Masters events.

Advertisement

With the calendar becoming increasingly crowded, and with two-week Masters formats adding to the strain, strong performances in both tournaments have become even harder to sustain. Rafael Nadal remains the last player to win both events, doing so in 2013. Before that, only Andre Agassi, Andy Roddick, Pat Rafter, Eddie Dibbs, and Cliff Richey achieved the same feat.

For that reason, the call is simple: if the ATP Tour wants to give top players a fair chance to compete in both tournaments, it needs to place a week between them. Without that break, the North American hardcourt swing risks producing more withdrawals, more frustration, and more results like Shelton’s in Cincinnati.

Continue Reading

ATP Tour ATP Tour News

Alcaraz US Open return remains uncertain as Laver Cup fallback emerges

Alcaraz’s US Open status is unclear, with the Laver Cup now a possible next stop.

Published

on

Carlos Alcaraz’s comeback schedule is still unsettled, even with his name on the US Open entry list.

The world No. 3 is racing the clock to recover from the wrist injury he picked up at the Barcelona Open, and his fitness remains the central issue ahead of the final Grand Slam of the season. He was supposed to appear at the Cincinnati Open before heading to New York, but he was not ready in time for that event.

Although he has been training at a high intensity in the build-up to Flushing Meadows, there is still a possibility that he will miss the US Open because he has not yet reached full fitness.

According to MARCA, Alcaraz “will reappear at the Laver Cup if he doesn’t play at the US Open”, though he has not withdrawn from the Grand Slam. That tournament is scheduled for September 25-27, which would extend his absence from competition by around three more weeks.

Advertisement

He is already confirmed to miss Spain’s Davis Cup tie against Chile, with the squad already chosen, making the Laver Cup the next possible event on his calendar. Alcaraz has been a regular presence at the competition for Team Europe, having played in the last two editions before 2026.

His record at the event includes a Team Europe title in 2024, when he beat Ben Shelton and Taylor Fritz in singles. Team World turned the tables in 2025 in San Francisco, with Fritz gaining revenge by defeating the Spaniard in straight sets.

This year’s Laver Cup will be staged in London at the O2 Arena, and Alcaraz has made clear how much he values the event. Speaking last year, he said: “I will try to bring positive energy to the team. I want to help Team Europe defend the Laver Cup.

“I love that tournament, and being teammates with players who are usually rivals is something very special. I will give my best, and I’m very excited about the event.”

Advertisement

Team Europe will also include Rafael Jodar, Jakub Mensik, Casper Ruud, Alexander Zverev, and Flavio Cobolli, with Yannick Noah and Tim Henman leading the side. Team World, coached by Andre Agassi and Pat Rafter, will feature Shelton, Fritz, Alex de Minaur, Alexander Bublik, Learner Tien, and Tommy Paul.

Continue Reading

Trending