Connect with us

Cincinnati Open

Pegula, Swiatek set for 13th meeting in Cincinnati semi-final

Pegula and Swiatek renew their rivalry in Cincinnati after contrasting quarter-final wins.

Published

on

Jessica Pegula and Iga Swiatek are set to meet for the 13th time on the WTA Tour when they contest the Cincinnati Open semi-final, with both players anticipating a demanding battle.

Their quarter-final routes could hardly have been more different. Swiatek advanced after playing only five games and leading 4-1 when Elena Rybakina retired because of a leg injury. Pegula, meanwhile, needed more than two hours and three sets to get past Amanda Anisimova, eventually prevailing 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (7-4).

Saturday’s clash in Mason shapes as a strong test for both, with each arriving in solid form. Swiatek lifted the Canadian Open title last week, while Pegula was runner-up at the Washington DC Open and reached the round of 16 in Toronto.

The head-to-head favours Swiatek 7-5, and she also won their latest meeting in Rome. Even so, the rivalry has been tight in recent times, with the pair splitting their last eight matches 4-4. Pegula’s last hard-court win over Swiatek came nearly four years ago at the US Open.

Advertisement

The American said she trusts her own ball-striking, but she also acknowledged the threat posed by a confident opponent.

“I would describe myself as pretty strategic and someone that’s always open to learning and getting better,” the third seed stated. “I think I’m a great ball striker. I’ve only gotten better, even this year I’ve improved on so many things.

“I would describe myself as even-keeled and a balanced tennis players that’s given me a lot of longevity and consistency over the last few years.”

Pegula added: “I feel Iga has gotten back to her game a little bit, found her footing and her base with just winning matches. We used to see her win pretty straightforward, nothing crazy. I think a confident Iga is always scary.”

Advertisement

Swiatek, who has rebounded after difficult clay and grass-court stretches, including a third-round Wimbledon defeat to Alex Eala, said she expects Pegula to bring her best in front of a home crowd.

“Jessie looks different than me on the court, but she has a great feeling and great ability to predict where the opponents are going to play,” the Pole said. “So the ball is really hard coming from her racket and tricky. For sure, it’s going to be a challenge.

“American players also are more pumped to play in American tournaments, so I’ll be ready for her best version. We played many tough matches against each other, and for sure she likes also playing here, so I’ll be ready.”

The winner will move on to face either Coco Gauff or Sara Bejlek in the final.

Advertisement

Cincinnati Open

Rybakina explains ankle injury after Cincinnati Open retirement against Swiatek

Rybakina retired against Swiatek in Cincinnati and later described the left ankle injury.

Published

on

Elena Rybakina has provided an update after her quarter-final at the 2026 Cincinnati Open ended early against Iga Swiatek.

The world No. 2 was forced to stop with a left ankle injury while trailing 1-4 in the first set on Thursday evening. The problem seemed to arise during a point she lost while serving at 1-4, 40-15. Play was then halted for a mid-game medical evaluation, and the 26-year-old from Kazakhstan soon decided she could not continue.

“Of course, now I feel not the greatest, I couldn’t even push from the serve,” the two-time Grand Slam champion said. “It’s painful to walk, and we will know more tomorrow when I do the MRI.

“It’s been bothering me for a long period of time. It was under control, but then after playing a lot of matches in Canada and coming here playing two matches in a row. The match against [Magdalena] Frech stopping with the rain delays, I started to feel it more, and I took a day off completely after.

Advertisement

“It was feeling okay before the match, but unfortunately one wrong movement, one landing, and something happened.”

Swiatek, who moved on after the retirement, said she was unsettled by what she saw on court.

“Honestly, I felt a bit, like, scared because I don’t know if I see a player having an injury like that,” said the 25-year-old Pole.

“I wasn’t sure because she didn’t look good obviously. But then she wanted a treatment, so I wasn’t sure if she’s going to be back or not.

Advertisement

“So, I wanted to be really focused on just being ready because breaks like that can really throw you off of your rhythm and the momentum. But then I felt really sorry for her, but hopefully it’s nothing serious.

“I was feeling anxious just looking at this situation. I hope Elena will be fine. The next tournament is the priority. I know this one is important as well. But US Open is US Open. I hope she’s gonna be ready for that.

“She’s super close to being No 1 in the world. It’s a shame. I thought we were playing a good match. But health is a priority. I hope she’s gonna be okay.”

Swiatek is now on a 10-match winning streak and is chasing back-to-back WTA 1000 titles after winning the Canadian Open. She is also aiming to defend her Cincinnati title.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

500 Cincinnati Open

Sabalenka’s Cincinnati setback deepens as Rybakina waits in the rankings

Sabalenka fell to Bejlek in Cincinnati, and Rybakina can still challenge for world No. 1.

Published

on

Aryna Sabalenka’s difficult stretch continued at the Cincinnati Open, where the world No. 1 fell in the fourth round to unseeded Sara Bejlek. Leading coach Rick Macci said he believes “Sabalenka is competing against herself”.

Sabalenka opened the 2026 campaign in strong fashion, defending her Brisbane International title before reaching the Australian Open final, where she finished runner-up to Elena Rybakina. She then built a major cushion over her rivals in March by winning both Indian Wells and Miami to complete the Sunshine Double. Since then, however, her results have fallen away. Diana Shnaider beat her in the Roland Garros quarter-finals, and Naomi Osaka sent her out in the fourth round at Wimbledon.

That uneven run has continued on the North American hard courts. Sabalenka was previously defeated by Ekaterina Alexandrova in the round of 16, and her Cincinnati exit added another setback. Against Bejlek, the opening set was closely fought. Sabalenka broke in the first game, but the 20-year-old recovered and took the tie-break. In the second set, Bejlek broke immediately, Sabalenka responded by winning four straight games and moving 4-1 ahead, yet she did not claim another game as Bejlek closed out a 7-6 (9-7), 6-4 victory.

Sabalenka now holds a 40-8 record for the season, but Macci thinks confidence is becoming a concern. “Sabalenka is on a slippery slope as the Belarus Bomber still has an unreal serve but in tough moments I see a different mindset with her nerve,” he wrote on X.

Advertisement

The loss also leaves the top ranking under threat. Rybakina can move to No. 1 if she reaches the Cincinnati final. Even if she does not capitalise there, the US Open offers another chance, with Sabalenka defending 2,000 points after winning last year’s title while Rybakina is defending only 240. Macci described the upcoming tournament in New York as “wide open”. He added: “Right now Sabalenka is competing against herself. When an athlete does this you can still get a few wins but mentally your confidence spins,” before calling it “the U.S. WIDE OPEN for the WTA as 15 different players could have the final say.”

Continue Reading

Cincinnati Open

Sabalenka sharp in Cincinnati as world No. 1 battle tightens

Sabalenka rebounded in Cincinnati with a swift win, easing pressure in the race for world No. 1.

Published

on

Aryna Sabalenka found her rhythm again in Cincinnati, producing a commanding third-round win over Wang Xinyu to move into the fourth round in under an hour.

The result mattered beyond the scoreline. Sabalenka has endured a difficult summer on clay and grass, and she has not lifted a WTA Tour trophy since her Miami Open triumph in March. With the world No. 1 race still live, every clean performance carries added weight, and this one was among her best of the season.

Sabalenka beat Wang Xinyu 6-1, 6-3 and later described the match as a near-perfect response to the pressure around her. Speaking on-court after the victory, Sabalenka said: “To get this win in under an hour [is] an insane result and I’m so happy to be through. I think I really trusted myself and I was going for my shots without overthinking. That was the weapon of tonight’s match.”

She then expanded on her mindset in a later interview, saying the reset has to come from within. “[I’m] just trying to build myself back together,” she said after beating Wang Xinyu. “It’s been a little bit of a down the hill road during the summer.

Advertisement

“So, right now, we’re just trying to build everything back together and then we’ll think what else we can add in my game.”

Sabalenka now meets Sara Bejlek, who advanced by defeating Ekaterina Alexandrova. The two have never met on the WTA Tour, but Bejlek has already marked herself as one of the season’s most intriguing young players. Earlier this year, she won her maiden WTA Tour title at the Abu Dhabi Open, beating Alexandrova in the final.

Sabalenka’s progress has also given her more room at the top of the rankings race. Rybakina now must win the Cincinnati Open to keep her hopes of finishing the tournament as world No. 1 alive, and she cannot face Sabalenka before the final. If Sabalenka keeps serving and striking the ball as she did against Wang Xinyu, she will remain the clear favourite to stay at the summit.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending