Connect with us

Rusedski casts doubt on Alcaraz US Open singles return

Rusedski doubts Alcaraz will play US Open singles after months out with wrist discomfort.

Published

on

Carlos Alcaraz has been placed under a cloud of uncertainty ahead of the US Open, with Greg Rusedski questioning whether the Spaniard will actually return to singles competition despite his public announcement that he is coming back.

Alcaraz has not played professional tennis since April, after dealing with persistent wrist discomfort. His last match came against Otto Virtanen in the opening round of the Barcelona Open, a tournament he later withdrew from. Tests followed, and he then pulled out of the rest of the clay season and the grass-court swing.

That absence came at a heavy ranking cost. Alcaraz lost 6130 points and slipped further behind world No 1 Jannik Sinner, while Alexander Zverev moved ahead of him as well. Even so, after also withdrawing from Toronto and Cincinnati, Alcaraz surprised many by saying on social media that he would return at the US Open, which starts on August 30.

Rusedski, however, is far from convinced that the comeback will extend to the singles draw. Speaking on the Off Court with Greg podcast, the former world No 4 said, “I mean, you have got to think, why would you start back with a wrist injury in three out of five sets?” He added, “I would be very surprised if he plays in the singles, but he says ‘I’m back’.”

Advertisement

He also questioned whether the risks involved were worth it, saying, “I hope he’s healthy. I hope he’s able to play the US Open. But I’m not sure this is the smartest thing, unless it’s just a publicity stunt.” Rusedski went on to say, “I don’t think he’s going to play. I think he says he’s back, but I think he might just participate in the mixed doubles.”

That mixed doubles event is scheduled for the week before the singles, with Alcaraz set to partner 23-time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams in the revamped 16-team draw from August 24-26. He partnered Emma Raducanu last year.

Rusedski did not see that format as sufficient preparation for the main event, saying, “You need to have that lead-up event.” He added that he wants Alcaraz back, but only on the right terms: “We want him back, but we want him healthy for a decade.”

Advertisement

ATP Tour

Toni Nadal tells Zverev to accept Sinner and Alcaraz are ahead, backs Jodar as standout newcomer

Toni Nadal backed Zverev to keep fighting and praised Jodar as the best of the new generation.

Published

on

Toni Nadal has said he told Alexander Zverev that he has to “accept” Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz are stronger than him, while also singling out Rafael Jodar as the “best of the new generation” at a recent speaking event.

With Sinner having withdrawn from the upcoming US Open, Zverev will go into the final Grand Slam of the season as the top seed. The timing gives the German a clear opening in New York, especially after a 2026 stretch that has already included his first major title at the French Open. He also returned to the last 16 at Wimbledon for the first time a few weeks later, before falling to Sinner in a tight final.

In that context, Zverev arrives with results that place him among the leading contenders. Yet Toni Nadal, speaking in an interview for Men’s Health, described a different sort of challenge, one rooted in mentality as much as form. The long-time coach, who guided Rafael Nadal from the age of three, said the key is to keep competing even when the odds are against you.

“There are two players who are extraordinary, Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz, but I think the others have lost faith a bit,” suggested Nadal.

Advertisement

“I advised Alexander Zverev that you have to accept that they are a little above him, but I gave him the case that, with Rafael -his nephew-, Federer and Djokovic above their rivals, Andy Murray won three Grand Slams and Stan Wawrinka won another three. We have to go for it.

“We both know that when you go out to play against Alcaraz or Sinner you will be less likely to win, but fight and try to be present all the time; and, in the end, you’ll likely have your reward. I can’t guarantee it, but obviously, if you try to do things well, knowing the difficulty, you will be able to achieve it.

“David Ferrer never gave up and neither did Murray when he fought Federer. He lost more times, yes; but he didn’t give up before leaving.”

Zverev’s recent form has been uneven, with a first-match exit in Toronto against Tallon Griekspoor followed by a fourth-round loss in Cincinnati to Tommy Paul.

Advertisement

Toni Nadal also turned to the emergence of Jodar, offering a rare assessment of the Spanish teenager’s rise after a breakthrough 2026 season that included a first ATP title in Marakeech, quarter-final runs at the French Open and Madrid Open, and a semi-final appearance at the recent Canadian Masters. The 19-year-old began 2025 ranked No 895 and has climbed to a career-high No 11.

“I am liking Rafael Jódar a lot because of what I have seen. It seems to me that it is the best of the new generation,” analysed Nadal.

“He is 19 years old and has burst onto the circuit very strongly. He’s a guy who, in a short time, has gone from being an unknown and playing in satellites or tournaments prior to the professional circuit, to beating a Top 10 player and giving Sinner a fight.

“I don’t think he’s an Alcaraz, I don’t think he’s as good as him, but I think he’s going to put the best in the world in trouble because he’s a brave guy in difficult moments. All this can lead him to achieve great goals.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

ATP Tour

Sinner’s knee issue raises wider questions over workload and scheduling

Sinner’s knee setback has triggered warnings about relapse, recovery, and the demands of scheduling.

Published

on

Jannik Sinner has been told that any setback in his current knee problem could bring his 2026 season to an early close, with one Italian voice warning that the situation should act as a lesson to the rest of the tour.

On Friday, Sinner confirmed he would miss the season’s final Grand Slam because of an ongoing “right knee issue”. The announcement came only five weeks after he successfully defended his Wimbledon title, defeating Alexander Zverev in four sets.

Given his 44-3 record, he would have entered the New York event as a leading contender. Yet his latest withdrawal also follows the physical problem that ended his French Open hopes in Paris. There, after moving to a commanding lead against Juan Manuel Cerundolo, he eventually lost in five sets.

Before that setback, Sinner had made history by becoming the first man to win the first five Masters 1000 events of the season. He was also only the second man to sweep all three clay Masters 1000 tournaments, following Rafael Nadal in 2010 before Nadal went on to win the French Open.

Advertisement

Former world No 12 and commentator Paolo Bertolucci gave a frank assessment of the situation.

“Undoubtedly, the grind Sinner put in this year, which led to winning 5 consecutive Masters 1000s, from Indian Wells to Rome via Miami, Monte Carlo, and Madrid, must have left some aftereffects,” he said in an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport.

He added: “You can’t show up at this level if the previous issue hasn’t been resolved. A potential relapse, in fact, would be disastrous and could even lead to an early end to the 2026 season.

“So, you have to tread carefully, do the right things, not let yourself be driven by the anxiety to return at all costs.

Advertisement

“There’s a very fine line that absolutely must not be crossed. It costs Sinner and his team a lot to say no to the US Open, but it’s a no that comes at the end of a precise journey.”

Sinner has played nine tournaments this season and remains top of the Live ATP Rankings on 12,800 points, a total that will drop to 11,500 after the US Open. Zverev, currently 3810 points behind, cannot overtake him even if he wins his first US Open title.

Bertolucci said the case should be taken as a wider warning about scheduling, arguing that players cannot keep pushing week after week simply because results are going well.

Sinner is expected to return at the Beijing Open, scheduled for September 30 to October 6.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Grand Slam

Alcaraz and Serena Williams secure US Open mixed doubles wildcard

Alcaraz and Williams join the US Open mixed doubles field as the revamped event returns in August.

Published

on

Carlos Alcaraz and Serena Williams have been granted a wildcard into the US Open mixed doubles draw, ending months of speculation about a partnership between two of tennis’ most recognizable names.

The announcement comes after Alcaraz confirmed on Thursday that he will return to competitive action at the New York Grand Slam. The Spaniard has missed four months of the season because of an ongoing wrist injury, but he is now set to defend his singles title at the event as well as feature in the mixed doubles field.

For Williams, the appearance offers another step in her return to the sport after a nearly four-year ‘evolution’ away from tennis during the grass-court season. Her comeback has already included a singles return at Wimbledon, where she picked up a knee injury, and later a doubles outing with her sister Venus at the Cincinnati Open. That match ended in a 6-2 1-6 10-8 loss to Marta Kostyuk and Peyton Stearns.

The six-time US Open champion also has a personal connection to the tournament, having first indicated at the 2022 edition that she would retire from the game she once dominated. This mixed doubles run now gives her another competitive outing before the singles draw begins, although the format features shorter matches than traditional Grand Slam contests.

Advertisement

The event will be staged from August 24-26 and will be the second edition of the redesigned mixed doubles competition. The USTA cut the field from 32 teams to 16, moved it into Fan Week before the singles main draw, and added $1 million for the winners. The format uses short sets to four games, no-ad scoring and a 10-point match tiebreak instead of a third set.

Six pairs qualified directly through combined singles rankings, eight teams received wildcards, and the final two places will be decided by a new eight-team qualifying event on August 24. The confirmed field also includes Aryna Sabalenka and Novak Djokovic, Jessica Pegula and Taylor Fritz, Iga Swiatek and Casper Ruud, and defending champions Andrea Vavassori and Sara Errani.

Last year, Vavassori and Errani retained their title by beating Ruud and Swiatek 6-3 5-7 10-6 in the final.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending