Analytics & Stats US Open WTA
Roddick: Raducanu’s US Open Run Echoes 2021 as She Advances to Third Round
Andy Roddick says Emma Raducanu is evoking her 2021 US Open run as she reaches the third round. now!

Emma Raducanu has reached the third round of the US Open after surrendering just six games across her opening two matches, a run that has prompted comparisons with her 2021 title-winning week.
Former champion Andy Roddick suggested the British No 1 is beginning to recapture elements of that breakthrough form. “Emma Raducanu… it’s feeling a lot like 2021,” he said on the latest edition of his Served podcast.
“She had not won a match at the US Open since she won the tournament as a qualifier. Now she is through to the third round and she has spent two hours and two minutes on court.
“She didn’t spend much time on court when we won the title and she’s looking really good.”
Raducanu arrives in the third round aiming to move back inside the top 30 of the WTA Rankings and to claim what would be her biggest victory since her maiden Grand Slam triumph.
Her next opponent is former Wimbledon champion Elena Rybakina. A win over Rybakina would mark just the second time Raducanu has beaten a top ten rival at a Grand Slam, after her victory over Maria Sakarri at Wimbledon last year.
Raducanu acknowledged the challenge and the context of her current ranking when speaking to the PA news agency: “I think I’ve had some tough draws but that also comes with the ranking I’m at. I have to accept it, I’m not seeded,” Raducanu told the PA news agency:
“Playing these top opponents, you get a feel for it every time. It’s difficult. Right now I’m just working on developing and building my game.
“Of course, if I’m going to want to win a grand slam, you have to beat all the players in the draw, but I don’t think right now that’s my goal or my objective. I’m not trying to win the tournament, to be honest.
“Of course, I’ll do my best but I think I’ve put things into perspective with where I’m at and I’m just working on doing everything I can as best as possible and putting level on the court.
“I need to play these top girls and I think a win against one of them gives you a lot of confidence in general, but I know I just need to keep doing the right things day to day and the results I can’t really control.
“But I think I’m just working towards getting closer and closer to the top ones.”
She looked forward to the Rybakina clash as she added: “She’s been at the top of the game for so long and very dominant and has big weapons, has a huge serve and big ground strokes,” said Raducanu of Rybakina.
“So I do want to see how my game suits and fits against the top. I still think I have a long way to go, but I have been making steps towards getting closer and narrowing that gap. I think I have to take confidence from my matches against Aryna.
“But Elena is a different opponent. She beat Aryna in Cincy in straight sets. It’s going to be a tough match.”
Analytics & Stats ATP US Open
Djokovic Sets New Major Hard-Court Wins Record in New York
Djokovic broke the major hard-court wins record in New York and extended his Grand Slam tally again.

Novak Djokovic arrived at the 2025 US Open chasing a record-extending 25th Grand Slam title and delivered another landmark performance in the third round.
The 38-year-old secured a 6-4, 6-7(4), 6-2, 6-3 victory over world No 35 Cameron Norrie in Arthur Ashe Stadium on Friday night. He is also vying for a record-equalling fifth US Open men’s singles crown.
With that win Djokovic recorded his 192nd hard-court Grand Slam victory, a mark that moved him past Roger Federer to become the outright record-holder for most hard-court wins at majors. He had first drawn level with Federer with his second-round victory before surpassing him in New York.
The Serb has also extended his all-time Grand Slam match wins to 395, a tally that underlines his sustained success at the sport’s biggest events.
Djokovic remains the longest-serving world number one in history, having spent a record 428 weeks at the top. The article notes a complicating detail from August 2024: 400 ranking points Jannik Sinner earned for reaching the Indian Wells semi-finals were later invalidated following positive doping tests, yet the ATP did not retroactively remove those points from Sinner’s ranking. Had those points been subtracted, Djokovic would have reclaimed the top ranking for one week in August 2024 and the weeks-at-No 1 total would have read 429 instead of 428. A journalist outlined that scenario to Djokovic after his win and asked whether the ATP should award him the additional week. Djokovic replied:
“(Smiles) Yeah, maybe. Maybe we’ll have this discussion another time, but right now, I’m okay with it. I’m okay with it. Right now, it’s fine, but honestly, I forgot about it. I didn’t even think about it,” Djokovic replied.
“But look, it’s been a great career of hunting the No 1 for me and defending the No 1 and I mean, I’ve been there longer than anyone, so one week more or less at this moment in time is not so relevant. But maybe that will change (laughs).”
On the match against Norrie, Djokovic said: “I guess coming into the match, any match, you really want to win in straight sets without any drama and just ease through, but that’s not possible.
“My team wants me to suffer on the court so I can get some more minutes spent in match play. It’s good that I get tested.
“I hadn’t played any matches since Wimbledon and it’s been for us quite a long time, five to six weeks. I’m still trying to find my groove and my rhythm on court.”
Analytics & Stats ATP US Open
McEnroe: Medvedev’s US Open implosion reveals deeper confidence issues
McEnroe says he ‘loved every minute’ of Medvedev’s US Open collapse and questions his future. Today.

John McEnroe delivered a blunt assessment of Daniil Medvedev after the Russian’s dramatic US Open defeat, saying he “loved every minute” of the on-court meltdown while warning that Medvedev “has got to get his act together.”
Medvedev, the 2021 US Open champion, has endured a difficult Grand Slam season with a 1-4 record at the majors this year, exiting in the first round at Wimbledon and the French Open and falling in the second round at the Australian Open.
In the match with Benjamin Bonzi the contest swung on a chaotic sequence at 5-4, AD-40 in the third set when Bonzi held match point on his serve. After Bonzi missed his first serve a photographer entered the court before the Frenchman’s second serve. Chair umpire Greg Allensworth awarded Bonzi another first serve, a decision that provoked a furious reaction from Medvedev. He encouraged the crowd to protest louder and joined in booing directed at Allensworth, producing a six-minute delay before play resumed.
Medvedev broke back, won the set in a tiebreak and then dominated the fourth as Bonzi began to struggle physically. Yet in the deciding set Medvedev twice squandered a break advantage and Bonzi prevailed after Medvedev suffered hand cramps late in the match. A furious Medvedev destroyed his rackets and remained on court until midway through Bonzi’s on-court interview.
The world No 16 was fined $42,500: $30,000 for unsportsmanlike conduct and $12,500 for smashing rackets against his chair.
McEnroe made the comments on the Nothing Major podcast with John Isner, Sam Querrey and Steve Johnson. Asked by Johnson what he thought about Medvedev’s outburst, McEnroe — who is no stranger to on-court controversy — said: “Besides loving every minute of it? Well you know, he already has tapped out, like months ago,” said the former world No 1.
“So I’ve been worried about his level ’cause he doesn’t know what the hell he’s doing at this point, to me, for a guy that good on hard courts.
“So this sort of cemented it, like how little confidence he has in anything. But I was sorta hoping, I gotta admit — not at Bonzi’s expense because he showed a lot of balls at the end, to me, in the fifth set — but I was sort of hoping Medvedev would win that.
“If I was Bonzi, by the way, I would have, about three minutes into this six or seven minute break, I would have put up the ball and said: ‘I don’t even need a first serve. Here’s a ball, second serve. I’m gonna win this anyway.’ Medvedev probably would have missed the return, we wouldn’t be talking about this.
“But he (Medvedev) has got to get his act together. I’m not sure he can. I think he’s so lost right now, I’m not sure what’s gonna happen with him in the future. I always liked Daniil and there’s something about the US Open that brings out the best and worst of him.”
Analytics & Stats ATP US Open
Djokovic breaks Federer’s hard-court Grand Slam wins record, ties another Open Era mark
Djokovic records 192nd hard-court Grand Slam win, surpassing Federer; ties another Open Era mark….

Novak Djokovic added a fresh entry to his record book at the US Open, surpassing Roger Federer for the most career wins at hard-court Grand Slams. In the third round in Flushing Meadows he beat Cam Norrie 6-4, 6-7 (4), 6-2, 6-3 to register his 192nd victory at a hard-court major and move past Federer’s all-time men’s total.
The win carried Djokovic into the tournament’s second week and continued a perfect head-to-head against Norrie, extending the series to 7-0. The result also left Djokovic level with Federer for another milestone: the most fourth-round appearances at Grand Slams for a man in the Open Era.
For context, the US Open has been contested on hard courts since 1978, and the Australian Open adopted hard courts in 1988. Those surfaces are the setting for the record Djokovic now holds, a mark that reflects sustained success across the two hard-court majors.
The match score underlines a contest that was not straightforward: Djokovic prevailed in four sets after dropping the second-set tiebreak. The victory preserves his deeper run in the tournament and cements a statistical milestone against the backdrop of Grand Slam history.
Roger Federer’s standing on hard courts has been a benchmark for decades, and Djokovic’s new total alters that measure. Djokovic’s tie with Federer for most fourth-round appearances further emphasizes consistency at majors across years.
More to come…
-
Grand SlamPlayer NewsWimbledon1 month ago
Amanda Anisimova vows to return stronger after being ‘frozen’ with nerves during Wimbledon final defeat
-
Player NewsWTA1 month ago
Zheng Qinwen to take “short break” following elbow surgery
-
Grand SlamWimbledonWTA1 month ago
Slices, sabbaticals and a strong team key to SW19 success?