Governing Bodies Grand Slam Player News
Federer to Join Hall of Fame; Fellow Champions Offer Praise
Federer’s Hall of Fame news drew praise from Becker, Edberg, Hingis, Clijsters and Billie Jean King.
Roger Federer will be inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame, and the announcement prompted warm tributes from some of the sport’s most prominent figures. The Newport institution revealed the news in a video showing Federer learning of his selection while surrounded by young Swiss players at the federation’s national training center in Biel/Bienne.
Messages from former No. 1s and Grand Slam champions provided the emotional center of the announcement. Germany’s Boris Becker and Sweden’s Stefan Edberg, two players Federer cited as early influences, were among the first to speak.
“Congratulations [on] being part of the Tennis Hall of Fame. You really, really deserve it,” Edberg said. “You’ve had an incredible career and 20 Grand Slam titles tells it all.”
Becker, who previously coached Novak Djokovic, reflected on Federer’s wider impact on the game, saying Federer “really put tennis on a different map.” He added, “Whenever you started winning, people that had nothing to do with tennis liked tennis because of you,” Becker said. “So you’re not only one of the best players in tennis of all time, you’re the most important sportsman of all time.”
Also featured in the Hall of Fame presentation were Kim Clijsters, the current president of the International Tennis Hall of Fame, Federer’s fellow Swiss Martina Hingis and WTA co-founder Billie Jean King. Hingis, who partnered with Federer to win the 2001 Hopman Cup, praised his on-court elegance: “Everything always looked so perfect, easy when you were on court, and many people don’t see all the sweat that is behind it because you kind of make it look so easy.”
King offered a broader assessment of Federer’s character and competitive spirit. “You have meant so much to so many of us,” King added. “You had such guts, such focus, such intensity. I could see how much it meant to you, and just watching you brought out every aspect of your character.”
Davis Cup Governing Bodies
Spain Prevails in Doubles to Advance to Davis Cup Semifinals
Granollers and Martinez won two tiebreaks as Spain, without Alcaraz, beat Czechia to reach semis…
Marcel Granollers and Pedro Martinez closed out a tense doubles match to send Spain into the Davis Cup semifinals. The pair edged Tomas Machac and Jakub Mensik in consecutive tiebreaks, 7-6 (8), 7-6 (8), completing a comeback for Spain in the quarterfinal tie at SuperTennis Arena.
Spain advanced without top-ranked Carlos Alcaraz, who withdrew from the event this week with a hamstring injury. Alcaraz is a six-time Grand Slam champion and his absence left a larger role for the rest of the team as the competition moved into the deciding doubles rubber.
The tie had been split after two singles matches. The 20-year-old Jakub Mensik produced a powerful performance earlier, serving 20 aces while beating veteran Pablo Carreño Busta, 7-5, 6-4. Jaume Munar then recorded his first Davis Cup singles victory for Spain, defeating No. 17 Jiri Lehecka 6-3, 6-4 and keeping the tie level heading into doubles.
Granollers and Martinez held firm in both sets’ tiebreaks to clinch the quarterfinal. The victory sends Spain into the last four for the first time since the nation captured its sixth title in 2019. The fourth-seeded Czech team had not reached the semifinals since 2014.
Spain will next face the winner of the remaining quarterfinal between No. 2 Germany and Argentina, who were scheduled to meet later on Thursday. In the other half of the draw, top-ranked Italy, which is chasing a third straight Davis Cup title and fourth overall, was set to play Belgium in the semifinals. Italy competed without world No. 2 Jannik Sinner, who is resting for the event.
The tie in Bologna was decided by fine margins and timely serving, with the doubles pairing providing the final breakthrough. Spain’s progression restores the country to semifinal contention after a six-year absence from that stage.
ATP Governing Bodies WTA
ATP simplifies its brand as tennis organizations refresh identities in 2025
ATP unveils a simplified logo in 2025 as major tennis organizations refresh their visual identities.
The ATP has rolled out a new logo described as “simplified and reimagined for the digital age,” becoming the latest major tennis organization to update its visual identity in 2025. The governing body of men’s professional tennis revealed the sixth logo in its 54-year history. The redesign drops the word “Tour” from the previous mark and retires the swinging forehand silhouette introduced in 2018. The updated sign keeps the familiar typography and adds a “curved trajectory that reflects the motion of a tennis ball in play.” ATP Tour (2018-2025) | ATP (2026-Present)
“Tennis is constantly evolving,” said Eno Polo, ATP CEO, in a statement. “To keep pace with our global fan base, we need to tell our story with creativity and energy. Our new identity captures the drama, precision, and momentum of the Tour, connecting with today’s fans while inspiring the next generation discovering tennis for the first time.”
The ATP refresh is the third major rebrand this year among the T7: the sport’s three governing bodies and the four Grand Slams. In February the WTA introduced a new identity and launched its “Rally the World” campaign. In October the International Tennis Federation announced it will rebrand to “World Tennis” effective January 1, 2026, with a new visual identity to follow in summer 2026.
“World Tennis better reflects who we are today; the global governing body and guardian of tennis, working hard with our members to deliver tennis for life,” said ITF President David Haggerty. “This evolution follows extensive consultation across the global tennis community and reflects our shared ambition to strengthen, unify and grow the game worldwide. We look forward to revealing our new identity and wider plans in the coming months.”
Michael Sutton-Long said, “There’s a practical reason,” “Some of the old logos maybe are outdated or just don’t work on all formats. You need a logo that’s instantly recognizable and flexible—something that reads well on a phone screen, a TV broadcast, or a stadium banner. Brands need to evolve to stay relevant.” “But beyond that,” he added, “tennis is cool again. There’s so much attention on the sport right now—everyone knows (Carlos) Alcaraz, (Jannik) Sinner, and Coco (Gauff). With new fans tuning in and new sponsors coming on board, this feels like the right moment for brands to evolve their visual identities.”
The WTA move centered on bold block letters and a player-focused Rally the World message. The Grand Slams have taken varied approaches, from the Australian Open’s bold AO redesign to Wimbledon’s subtle tweaks that emphasize heritage. US Open (1997-2018) | US Open (2018-Present) Australian Open (2007-2016) | (2016-Present)
Davis Cup Governing Bodies Player News
ITIA suspends David Marrero and Malek Jaziri after admitted wild-card violations
David Marrero and Malek Jaziri suspended by ITIA after admitting breaches of wild card rules (2025).
The International Tennis Integrity Association has imposed suspensions on former doubles world No. 5 David Marrero and Tunisia’s Davis Cup captain Malek Jaziri after both accepted sanctions for breaching wild-card rules under the Tennis Anti-Corruption Program.
Marrero admitted four separate instances, occurring between 2022 and 2023, in which he paid for or offered to pay for wild cards for himself and/or a doubles partner. Jaziri acknowledged conspiring with Marrero in one of those offences.
As outlined by ITIA, both are “prohibited from playing in, coaching at, or attending any tennis event authorized or sanctioned by the members of the ITIA (ATP, ITF, WTA, Tennis Australia, Fédération Française de Tennis, Wimbledon and USTA) or any national association” during their periods of ineligibility.
Marrero, the 2013 Nitto ATP Finals doubles champion alongside Fernando Verdasco, has begun a 31-month suspension that started on October 21 and runs through May 20, 2028. The 45-year-old was fined $15,000, with $10,000 of that amount suspended.
The ITIA action removes both men from participation in events covered by its member bodies for the duration of their bans. The sanctions follow the organisations procedures for handling breaches of the wild-card provisions in the Tennis Anti-Corruption Program.
The case underscores the governing body’s enforcement of integrity rules related to tournament entry and wild-card allocation. Marrero’s admissions covered multiple incidents over a two-year period, and Jaziri’s admission related to a single instance tied to Marrero. Both accepted the imposed sanctions and the terms of their ineligibility as set out by the ITIA.
-
ATPATP 500Swiss Indoors Basel1 month agoLate‑Match Bravery: Sinner and Fonseca Seize Titles in Vienna and Basel
-
ATPMastersShanghai2 months agoSinner opens Shanghai title defense with straight-set win, extends China streak to six
-
ATPMastersRolex Shanghai Masters2 months agoValentin Vacherot stuns Djokovic to become lowest-ranked Masters 1000 finalist
