Connect with us

1000 ATP Miami Open

Tournament director confirms Joao Fonseca will play on Miami’s main Stadium

Fonseca will be staged on Miami’s main Stadium; a second-round meeting with Alcaraz could follow….

Published

on

Joao Fonseca is guaranteed a spot on Miami’s largest court this week after a scheduling lesson from tournament director James Blake. Speaking to CoCo Vandeweghe and Steve Weissman, Blake laughed when asked about staging rising players like Brazil’s 19-year-old Fonseca and 20-year-old Alex Eala on the event’s biggest stage. “Harkening back to last year, when I learned my lesson: Fonseca needs to be on Stadium,” Blake responded, laughing. But he also made it clear: “He will be, yes.”

Fonseca played all his matches on Stadium during last year’s run to the third round, but a second-round match originally scheduled for Grandstand was moved at the last minute to the main court after a retirement opened a gap in the schedule. The change required a ticket upgrade and drew loud boos from Brazilian fans waiting on Grandstand; the announcement forced a pause in the ongoing match between Jack Draper and Jakub Mensik to restore order.

Blake said the pair of young internationals carry strong global followings and deserve center-court billing. “I think the international interest in both of them is so high,” tournament director Blake said of Fonseca and Eala. “And Miami being sort of a cultural melting pot with so much international flavor here… I think we’re going to need them to be on center court, because they have so many fans worldwide.

“These might feel like home matches, for both of them.”

Advertisement

Fonseca, who reached the fourth round in Indian Wells and is 4-4 on the season, said he enjoys playing in Miami. “I like the city, I like to play here, I like the humidity. It’s a little bit closer to how it is in Brazil, so yeah I like playing here,” Fonseca said. “Last year, it was more kind of a ‘test’ (for me). It was crowded, it was loud, a little bit of the Miami vibe. It’s so great for the tournament. And it’s also great for me, as well. I like playing with the crowd, so the support is just amazing.”

Fonseca faces Fabian Marozsan in the first round. If he advances, a second-round meeting with world No. 1 Carlos Alcaraz awaits. Alcaraz is 16-1 to start the season after winning the Australian Open, lifting the trophy in Doha and reaching the semifinals at the BNP Paribas Open. The two met previously in an exhibition before 14,000 fans at LoanDepot Park last December.

1000

Alcaraz comeback caution grows as US Open plans remain uncertain

Alcaraz steps up practice, but Greg Rusedski warns rushing back for New York would be a big risk.

Published

on

Carlos Alcaraz is reportedly increasing the intensity of his practice work before the US Open, but he has also been advised not to hurry back in time for New York.

The defending champion has not played a competitive match since the wrist injury he suffered at the Barcelona Open in April. He then withdrew from this week’s Cincinnati Masters, saying he was not ready to return.

Although social media has shown him hitting with more force on court, a first match back in a best-of-five-set Grand Slam would represent a major test. That is the main reason former British No 1 Greg Rusedski believes caution should remain the priority.

“I think it’s a big risk. I think you’ve got to come out of a two-out-of-three-set match to start because it’s one thing to practice, it’s another thing to play a match,” said Rusedski on the next edition of his podcast, which will be released on Monday.

Advertisement

He added that match pressure changes everything. “The adrenaline in the body, going hell for leather, you always go up with your tennis about an extra five, ten per cent from what you do in practice, no matter how hard you train.

“Plus, there’s the nerves and the expectation. You’re not gonna bounce back and come in with a three-out-of-five set match. I would be shocked if he plays the US Open. To me, he had to play Cincinnati to have a chance to go to the Open.

“So I would be surprised. After the US Open, I think possibly we might see him back, or maybe not even till next year.

“He’s not going to make the mistake with his risk. He doesn’t want to risk it. So I don’t see him still playing at the US Open, even though we’re seeing a lot of progress in his comeback.”

Advertisement

Rusedski also raised questions over Jannik Sinner after the Italian withdrew from the Cincinnati Masters because of a knee problem.

“Well, if he’s not in New York early in the week before the tournament starts, I don’t see him playing,” he added.

He said the situation could leave the men’s event wide open, while also stressing the strain of the tour. “But health is your wealth, and these guys have to take the time. It just shows you how physical the tour is. Because Sinner looked like the guy who’s never going to break down, and he’s the one who’s having a knee problem now.

“I just want to stop talking about injuries. Come on. Let’s stop the injuries. Let’s all get healthy. Let’s get everybody back on board.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

1000

Djokovic’s Cincinnati setback raises fresh questions over his future

Djokovic’s Cincinnati defeat renewed doubts about his fitness, his future, and another Grand Slam run.

Published

on

Novak Djokovic’s latest match against Argentina’s Thiago Agustin Tirante offered another stark reminder of the physical challenge he is trying to manage as he extends his career. Midway through the contest, Djokovic turned to his team, and it was plain he was struggling to find answers to an issue that has troubled him for some time.

At 39, Djokovic is still producing a level that few players could match, especially against opponents often close to half his age. His durability and commitment have been central to his decision to keep playing into his 40th year, and his results over the past couple of seasons have supported that choice.

But injuries are only part of the story. The Serbian has also continued to battle problems when heat and humidity rise, and those conditions again exposed a vulnerability that can shape the biggest matches. He would likely have beaten Tirante comfortably had he not suffered that physical collapse in the daytime heat in Cincinnati.

After the defeat, Djokovic was candid about how he felt, saying: “It was not an enjoyable match for me, for sure,” he said after his latest defeat. “The way I felt… Not the first and I guess not the last time, but it is what it is.”

Advertisement

He later described a health issue that has affected him for the past couple of years, adding: “It’s just a condition that I have, health-wise, that has been bothering me for the past couple of years. A lot of issues, especially when it is humid and it is hot.

“I did anticipate it, but there are all these things, like nerves and everything involved that make it worse, and that’s what happened.”

Djokovic also indicated he was unsure whether he would return to the Cincinnati Open, a notable shift from his usual parting line about coming back next year. As he continues to chase a 25th Grand Slam title, physical problems and the form of Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz keep narrowing the path. At this stage, Djokovic may need several factors to align before another major breakthrough becomes possible.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

1000

Eala’s packed run raises questions as US Open nears

Alex Eala’s rapid rise comes with a punishing schedule and fresh concerns before the US Open.

Published

on

Alex Eala has been one of the busiest players on the WTA Tour this summer, with her results on grass and in the early stages of the North American hardcourt swing drawing plenty of attention. The 21-year-old first lifted a Challenger trophy in Birmingham, then carried that momentum into a run to the semi finals of the Berlin Open and the fourth round of Wimbledon.

Her form only improved after that. Eala claimed her first WTA title at the Washington Open before adding a round of 16 appearance at the Canadian Open. Those results have confirmed her rise, but they have also led to growing concern about how much tennis she has already played.

The workload is only increasing. Eala has played more than anyone else on the WTA Tour, and there is little sign of that easing as she heads into the Cincinnati Open and the final Grand Slam of the season. She has also been confirmed for an exhibition match during US Open opening week, adding another commitment to an already crowded stretch.

Eala will face her friend Iva Jovic in the tournament’s ‘Stars of the Open’, set for 6pm on Thursday, August 27 at the Arthur Ashe Stadium. At the same time, she is due to compete in the US Open Mixed Doubles alongside Felix Auger-Aliassime at the start of opening week.

Advertisement

That leaves very little room for recovery or preparation. If Eala were to reach the second week at the US Open, she would effectively be playing eight straight weeks of tennis dating back to the Washington Open. For any player, that is a demanding schedule, and it is difficult to ignore the risk attached to such a heavy load.

There is also no immediate respite after New York, with Eala already entered for the Singapore Open in September during the WTA Tour’s Asian swing. Her rise has been impressive, but the question now is how long this pace can last.

Continue Reading

Trending