Connect with us

Cincinnati Open

Sinner’s Cincinnati absence fuels uncertainty over US Open appearance

Sinner’s Cincinnati withdrawal has sparked fresh doubt over whether he can play the US Open.

Published

on

Jannik Sinner’s withdrawal from Cincinnati was first described as a cautionary move, but his absence has since raised broader questions about whether he will be fit for the US Open. The world No 1 pulled out of the ATP Masters 1000 event with a knee issue and has not played competitive tennis since winning Wimbledon in the second week of July.

He was scheduled to use Cincinnati as his only warm-up event before New York, so missing that stop immediately drew attention. Sinner addressed the decision directly when he confirmed he would not compete.

“My right knee has been bothering me, and even though we have been working hard with my medical team, I have to accept that I’m not ready to compete yet,” said Sinner, as he confirmed he would not play in Cincinnati.

The 2024 US Open champion had recently shared practice clips on social media, suggesting he was increasing his workload. Yet those updates have stopped in recent days, and reports now indicate that a call on his New York plans could be close.

Advertisement

Italian outlets say Sinner is due to complete a fitness test in the coming days after a series of checks at the J Medical Centre in Turin, which is linked to Serie A soccer giants Juventus. To have any realistic chance of entering the US Open, he will need to spend time on court at a high intensity and prove he can handle several sets.

Former British No 1 Greg Rusedski remains doubtful about the timeline. “Well, if he’s not in New York early in the week before the tournament starts, I don’t see him playing,” said Rusedski on his podcast.

Sinner would need to travel to New York next week to acclimatise and prepare if he intends to compete, meaning a decision on his participation in the final Grand Slam of 2026 should arrive within the next three or four days. After turning 25 on Sunday, his immediate hope is a swift recovery and another chance to add to the Wimbledon title he won last month.

Advertisement

Cincinnati Open

Gauff fights back again to move into Cincinnati Open third round

Gauff battled from a set down to beat Samsonova and reach the Cincinnati Open third round.

Published

on

Coco Gauff had to work for her place in the third round of the Cincinnati Open, recovering from a slow start to beat Liudmila Samsonova in three sets.

The American dropped the opening set 6-2 before turning the match around with a 6-4, 6-1 response in the next two sets. It was another example of the resilience she has shown during the North American hardcourt swing, where her form has continued to build.

Gauff had already reached the semi-finals of the Canadian Open before falling to Elena Rybakina in three sets, and that run suggested she is edging closer to her first WTA title of the year. Her latest comeback against Samsonova only reinforced that view.

It was Gauff’s 11th comeback win of 2026, more than any other player on the WTA Tour. According to OptaAce, she stands ahead of Jessica Pegula on 10, Anastasia Potapova on 9, and Mirra Andreeva and Elena Rybakina on 8 apiece. That record says as much about her competitiveness as it does about her ability to recover when matches begin to slip away.

Advertisement

There is still room for improvement, particularly if one argues she should not need to find herself in those positions so often. Even so, her refusal to accept defeat remains one of her defining traits. As the draft notes, “Gauff never knows when she’s beaten and that is simply something you can’t teach a tennis player.”

Her serve is also progressing with each event, which adds to the sense that she is moving back toward the top of the WTA Tour. She is currently world No 4 in the live rankings and must be viewed as one of the leading contenders for both Cincinnati and the US Open.

Next up is Ann Li in the third round. Gauff has not lost to her on the WTA Tour, having beaten her at an ITF event in Arizona in 2019, at the Berlin Open in 2022, and at the Madrid Open in 2025. Another win would send her into the fourth round against either Marie Bouzkova or Iva Jovic.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Cincinnati Open

Macci sees Eala-Anisimova as a key test in Cincinnati

Macci says Eala’s Cincinnati clash with Anisimova will be a major learning test in 2026.

Published

on

A high-profile former coach of Serena and Venus Williams believes Alex Eala’s meeting with Amanda Anisimova at the 2026 Cincinnati Open will be a major test of her progress.

Seeded 17th in Cincinnati, Eala is set to face ninth seed Anisimova in a third-round match that many had anticipated when the draw was released. It will be the first time the two meet, with Anisimova arriving as the world No 10 and a 24-year-old American who finished runner-up at Wimbledon and the US Open in 2025.

Eala’s recent results give the contest extra weight. The 21-year-old Filipino has compiled a remarkable 9-4 career record against top-10 opponents, and seven of those wins have come this year. She has also won 11 of her last 13 matches, a stretch that has taken in Wimbledon, Washington DC, Toronto, and her opening match in Cincinnati.

Rick Macci, who has coached five players who went on to become world No 1, offered his view of the matchup in a post on X/Twitter. “EALA versus ANISIMOVA will give everybody a snapshot in real time of the Philippine machine and her movement and defense,” the American wrote.

Advertisement

He also explained why he views the meeting as a useful benchmark for Eala. “For her (Eala) to climb that mountain top the power players with clean lethal early strikes like her (Anisimova) is a great learning test for sure.

“When Alex is set on balance and able to hit on the rise this [is] when she gets you on a string and usually gets the prize.”

Macci later turned to Eala’s second serve, suggesting it could become even more effective if she adds pace. “Ask any WTA player if they would rather return a slow 70 mph second serve lefty lollipop or an 85 mph lefty laser from the Philippine machine gun and it is a slam dunk answer,” Macci wrote.

“Tennis is a game of time. Speed kills. Once Alex rewires everything in sync from the ground up look for her second serve to have juice bite and hop and other players wish they still tasted the LEFTY LOLLIPOP.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

ATP Tour Cincinnati Open

Rusedski says Djokovic should be shielded after Cincinnati loss

Rusedski argued Djokovic should be shielded after a brutal Cincinnati Open defeat in hot conditions.

Published

on

Former US Open finalist Greg Rusedski believes Novak Djokovic ought to be “protected” by tournament organisers after his early exit at the Cincinnati Open.

Djokovic fell 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 to world No 50 Thiago Agustin Tirante in his opening match at the Masters 1000 event in Mason, Ohio on Saturday. The 24-time Grand Slam champion looked in command through the first set, but the extreme afternoon heat and humidity quickly changed the tone of the contest.

After the defeat, Djokovic explained that he has been managing a health issue that creates “a lot of issues” in difficult weather. “It’s just a condition that I have, health-wise, that has been bothering me for the past couple of years. A lot of issues, especially when it is humid and it is hot,” the 39-year-old Serbian said.

“I did anticipate it, but there are all these things, like nerves and everything involved that make it worse, and that’s what happened.”

Advertisement

On the latest episode of his Off Court With Greg Rusedski podcast, Rusedski said the scheduling in Cincinnati was too harsh for Djokovic and argued that night sessions are the safer option.

“I’m just happy to have Novak around whenever it’s possible. He’s 39 years of age, what he’s achieved is phenomenal,” said the former world No 4.

He added that the conditions in Cincinnati can be punishing for anyone, not only an older player. “Novak has to be protected. He can’t be playing during the day. He has to be playing in the evenings, from 7 o’clock onwards. He’s earned the right to do so.”

Rusedski also pointed to the physical demands of the match and said Tirante used the conditions well after dropping the opening set. “So, for me, scheduling plays a part. I know you can’t always protect your big names because of rain and different things, but I think sometimes, you have to do those things.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending