Connect with us

Alex Eala’s climb points to bigger tests ahead

Alex Eala is in the top 20, but the top 10 will demand more sustained success in 2026.

Published

on

Alex Eala has already moved into the top 20 of the WTA Rankings, but the step from that tier into the top 10 remains a significant challenge for the Filipina.

Her recent rise has been built on a compelling run of results. Eala reached the last 16 at Wimbledon, where she produced a notable win over defending champion Iga Swiatek. She then added another major milestone by winning her first WTA Tour title in Washington, a breakthrough that lifted her standing even further.

That momentum should make her one of the players to watch at this year’s US Open. Given her current profile, night-session appearances at the final Grand Slam of 2026 could become part of the picture.

The rankings equation is straightforward, if demanding. Eala is now No 20 in the official list and No 18 in the live rankings after reaching the third round at the Cincinnati Open. She had previously fallen into the mid-40s earlier this year, before grass-court success sparked her climb.

Advertisement

The US Open offers a wide range of ranking outcomes. Her Washington title brought 500 points, while a championship run in New York would deliver 2,000 points and send her directly toward the top 10. A more measured target would be two or three wins. Reaching the last 16 would be worth 240 points and could push her toward the top 15 for the first time. A quarter-final would earn 430 points, a semifinal 780, and a runner-up finish 1,300 points.

She was not entered in all the major WTA Tour events at this point last year, but this season she is on the entry list for the biggest tournaments, which gives her more chances to collect points. She is set for the WTA 1000 events in Beijing and Wuhan, and she may also receive wild cards across the Asian swing, where WTA 500 events in Singapore, Ningbo and Tokyo will provide further opportunities.

A place at the WTA Finals still appears unlikely for now, though a strong US Open and a successful Asian swing could change that outlook. For the end of 2026, a top 15 finish looks realistic, with the top 10 still a longer-term target.

Advertisement

1000

US Open wildcard calls settle some debates and fuel others

USTA wildcard picks for the 2026 US Open settle some questions and spark debate.

Published

on

Wildcard decisions are among the most closely watched announcements before a Grand Slam, and the USTA’s latest choices ahead of the US Open have clarified several matters while opening the door to fresh discussion.

From New York on Tuesday, the governing body revealed which players secured main draw places and which ones were left needing to fight through qualifying.

“Former US Open women’s singles champions Venus Williams and Sloane Stephens have received singles main draw wildcards to the 2026 US Open,” the statement said.

“They join fellow Americans Carol Young Suh Lee, Reese Brantmeier and Thea Frodin, who also earned singles main draw wildcards, as well as France’s Leolia Jeanjean and Australia’s Taylah Preston.

Advertisement

“Meanwhile, Americans Janae Preston, Katrina Scott, Caroline Dolehide and more have received wildcards to the women’s singles qualifying tournament.”

The announcement also effectively removes any remaining uncertainty over Serena Williams in singles at the event. The 23-time Grand Slam champion is set to appear in New York in doubles alongside Venus.

The men’s wildcard list produced its own talking point, with Gael Monfils selected ahead of former champion Stan Wawrinka. It is the final season on tour for both players.

“Gael Monfils and Alexei Popyrin headline the recipients of the 2026 US Open Men’s Singles Main Draw wildcards,” said the USTA statement. “Rising American stars Michael Zheng, Martin Damm, J.J. Wolf, Sebastian Gorzny and Jack Kennedy have also been awarded wildcards.

Advertisement

“2014 US Open finalist Kei Nishikori was given a wildcard into the US Open Qualifying Tournament, where 128 athletes compete in the hopes of winning three matches in a row during the qualifying draw, which earns them one of the final 16 spots in the main draw.

“Several Americans join Nishikori in the qualifying event as wildcard recipients, including Michael Antonius, Andrew Johnson, Jordan Lee, Trevor Svajda, Andre Ilagan, Spencer Johnson and Daniel Milavsky.”

Much of the reaction centred on Monfils being chosen over Wawrinka, with the decision drawing criticism from social media users. The USTA’s Reciprocal Wildcard Agreement with the Australian Open and French Open shaped part of the selection process, which helped Monfils and Popyrin earn their places.

The release also appears to confirm that former US Open semi-finalist Jack Draper will not compete at this year’s event, with an injury placing his future in the sport in doubt. His deactivated Instagram account earlier this week has only added to the speculation.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

ATP Tour ATP Tour News

Alcaraz open to US Open return as mixed doubles emerges as possible bridge

Alcaraz may still surface at the US Open, with mixed doubles emerging as a possible comeback route.

Published

on

Carlos Alcaraz may yet appear at the US Open, although many around the sport still expect the final Grand Slam of 2026 not to serve as his comeback after a long injury absence.

The defending champion has not competed since hurting his wrist at the Barcelona Open in April. His decision to withdraw from the French Open and Wimbledon soon after underlined how serious the problem was.

In recent days, Alcaraz has increased his work as he builds toward a return. A headline-grabbing hitting session with Holger Rune earlier this week drew considerable attention when video from the practice court circulated on social media.

Rune is also working his way back after rupturing his Achilles tendon last November, and he too is considering whether a US Open appearance is realistic. For both players, a mixed doubles outing next week may be a more manageable first step before the main draw begins in New York on Sunday, August 30th.

Advertisement

Neither Alcaraz nor Rune is currently entered for the mixed doubles event, but the format could offer a lower-intensity setting to judge whether they are ready for the demands of the US Open. A return to best-of-five-set tennis after such lengthy time away would clearly carry risk.

There is also the possibility of strong exposure for both players’ sponsors if they reappear in New York in the mixed doubles. Alcaraz previously played with Britain’s Emma Raducanu, while Rune teamed with America’s Amanda Anisimova in last year’s event. Those matches were finished quickly, which is part of why the competition could suit a cautious comeback.

Reports indicate both men may still be granted wildcard access later this month, with USTA chiefs leaving that door open.

Alcaraz withdrew from this week’s Cincinnati Open, yet he still appears tempted by the idea of playing at Flushing Meadows. Former British No 1 Greg Rusedski, though, believes caution is the wiser route.

Advertisement

“You can count the US Open out now. There is no way he’s gonna play in the US Open if he’s missing Cincinnati,” said Rusedski on the latest edition of his podcast.

He added that the length of the absence suggests something more serious than simple inflammation and said he would be surprised to see Alcaraz return in New York.

Continue Reading

Cincinnati Open

Eala set for ranking rise after Cincinnati defeat to Anisimova

Eala’s Cincinnati run ends, but her WTA ranking is still set to climb to a new high.

Published

on

Alex Eala is on course to reach a new career milestone in the WTA Rankings even after her third-round exit at the 2026 Cincinnati Open.

The Filipina player was beaten 6-4, 4-6, 2-6 by ninth seed Amanda Anisimova in a demanding last-32 match at the WTA 1000 event in Mason, Ohio. It was the first meeting between Eala and the world No 10, the 24-year-old American who has twice finished runner-up at Grand Slams.

Eala entered Cincinnati as the 17th seed and made her tournament debut there. She opened with a first-round bye before defeating Elena-Gabriela Ruse in the second round. The 21-year-old has still produced a strong North American hard-court campaign, compiling an 8-2 record so far.

Her summer run included five wins at the Washington Open, where she claimed her maiden WTA Tour title. She then added two more victories at the Canadian Open to stretch her winning streak to seven matches before Belinda Bencic ended her progress in the last 16.

Advertisement

Eala began the Cincinnati Open at a career-high world No 20, built on her results in Washington DC and Toronto. By reaching the second round in Cincinnati, she earned 65 ranking points and moved to 2,281 points in total. That has lifted her two places to 18th in the Live WTA Rankings, which would be another best mark.

Her position is not yet secure, though, as players below her in the Live Rankings are still active in Cincinnati and could still move ahead of her.

Before the tournament, Eala explained what she would regard as success in Cincinnati.

“I think it’s just the level that I play,” Eala replied. “And of course, the more matches, the merrier, right?

Advertisement

“But it’s the matches of substance, and it’s the ones that… did I execute what I want to execute? Did I bring the level that I wanted to bring?

“So, if I lose first round, but it’s a really good match, not to say that it’s a successful week, but it wasn’t a bad one. And if I reach the final, then I’ll take that too (laughs).”

Continue Reading

Trending