Connect with us

ATP Tour Facts & Stats

Kyrgios faces new scrutiny after positive test and a career marked by repeated flashpoints

Kyrgios’s positive test adds to a long record of fines, bans and on-court incidents.

Published

on

Nick Kyrgios has called a positive test for cocaine a “huge mistake”, after the result triggered a provisional suspension.

The former Wimbledon finalist provided a sample at the Mallorca Open on 22 June, and it was later found to contain benzoylecgonine, a cocaine metabolite. He has been provisionally suspended since 4 August. The International Tennis Integrity Agency has said the 31-year-old may appeal, although he has not done so.

Pending the outcome of a tribunal, Kyrgios cannot coach or attend Grand Slams or any ATP or WTA Tour events. In a social media post, he said he took “full responsibility” for what happened, while also saying his knee and wrist injuries have taken a heavy toll on him physically and mentally.

The former world No 13 also said he would step away from social media and public life for 28 days to “focus on getting myself right”.

Advertisement

That latest setback adds to a long list of controversies that have followed him through his career.

At the Canadian Open in Montreal, a clash with Stan Wawrinka escalated when Kyrgios was heard saying, “Kokkinakis banged your girlfriend. Sorry to tell you that, mate.” He later apologised, calling the remarks “unacceptable”, but was fined by the ATP and received a suspended ban.

In Rome in 2019, he was defaulted against Casper Ruud after a game penalty, then smashed his racket, kicked a bottle of water and threw a chair on court. He walked off saying, “I’m done,” and later lost prize money, points and paid a fine.

Later that year in Cincinnati, a dispute with Fergus Murphy ended with Kyrgios leaving the court, smashing rackets in the tunnel and receiving a major fine after calling the umpire the “worst ref in the game”.

Advertisement

He was also handed an eight-week ban and a fine for his conduct at the 2016 Shanghai Masters, with the suspension later reduced after he agreed to consult a sports psychologist.

In February 2023, Kyrgios admitted to assaulting his former girlfriend, Chiara Passari, but avoided a criminal conviction. After the hearing, he said, “I was not in good place when this happened and I reacted to a difficult situation in a way I deeply regret. I know it wasn’t OK and I’m sincerely sorry for the hurt I caused.”

ATP Tour ATP Tour News

Alcaraz confirms US Open return, with practice and mixed doubles plans emerging

Alcaraz will play the US Open, with practice and mixed doubles talk already shaping his return.

Published

on

Carlos Alcaraz has ended the uncertainty surrounding his schedule by confirming that he will play the US Open at the end of August.

The Spaniard had been listed on several entry sheets throughout the summer after sitting out both the clay-court and grass-court swings. His preparation also drew concern when he was expected to appear at the Cincinnati Open, only to say that he was not ready in time.

That left questions hanging over his run-up to New York, but he is now set to compete at Flushing Meadows. Attention has already turned to how he will begin his final preparations once he arrives.

According to Alcaraz Updates, “ Alcaraz will have a practice session with Daniel Mérida in New York on Monday. He will depart for the US tomorrow (Saturday, 22nd August).”

Advertisement

Mérida has put together a strong spell on the ATP Tour in recent weeks. He reached the quarter finals of the Canadian Open after beating Tallon Griekspoor, Alex Michelsen, and Ugo Humbert, before losing to Learner Tien.

He also won Umag on clay, defeating Damir Dzumhur in the final to claim the first ATP Tour title of his career.

That form has earned him a place in Spain’s Davis Cup tie against Chile in September, a side that does not include Alcaraz.

There is also growing expectation that Alcaraz will take on more than singles duties at the US Open. He is heavily rumoured to be playing mixed doubles alongside Serena Williams.

Advertisement

The Mixed Doubles, which was re-formated in 2025, is staged during the US Open’s ‘Opening Week’, meaning Alcaraz could be back on court as early as Tuesday, 25th August.

He played the event last year with Emma Raducanu, but they were beaten on Arthur Ashe Stadium by Jessica Pegula and Jack Draper.

With the relaxed format designed to help singles players build match sharpness before the final Grand Slam of the year, it may also serve as an ideal lead-in to Alcaraz’s singles return. Williams, meanwhile, is yet to play mixed doubles since returning to the sport on the grass court swing. She has already played doubles with Venus Williams, Victoria Mboko, and Karolina Muchova.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

ATP Tour ATP Tour News

Alcaraz confirms US Open return after five-month absence

Alcaraz ends a five-month absence and prepares for a tense US Open return in New York.

Published

on

Carlos Alcaraz has at last confirmed that he will compete at the US Open, ending a five-month spell away from the ATP Tour.

The Spaniard has not played on the tour since injuring his wrist at the Barcelona Open, a problem that ruled him out of Roland Garros and Wimbledon as well. For a time, his return remained uncertain, but a post shared in collaboration with Fabrizio Romana on 20 August settled the question.

On that same day, Alcaraz was already back on court in Spain, working with Holger Rune. The pair have spent the week practising together, with both players trying to build match sharpness ahead of the closing stretch of the ATP Tour.

Rune has been sidelined since suffering an ACL injury at the Stockholm Open last October, leaving him out of competitive action for nearly a year. Their recent sessions have now included a full match, and Alcaraz came through it 7-6, 6-2 on Thursday, 20 August at the Spaniard’s academy in Murcia.

Advertisement

The focus now shifts to New York, where Alcaraz is expected to travel on Monday, 24 August. His return carries extra weight because he will be defending the full 2000 points earned by winning the Grand Slam in 2025.

There is also growing talk that he could feature in the US Open Mixed Doubles event with Serena Williams during the tournament’s Opening Week. If that pairing is confirmed, it would give Alcaraz another chance to collect match practice, while also creating one of the most closely watched entries in the event.

Alcaraz previously appeared in the inaugural 2025 edition alongside Emma Raducanu, although they were beaten in the first round by Jack Draper and Jessica Pegula.

Williams and Alcaraz are expected to receive one of the remaining wildcards, with Felix Auger-Aliassime, Alex Eala, Aryna Sabalenka and Novak Djokovic also confirmed for the competition.

Advertisement

The Spaniard’s comeback will not be straightforward. He has already been passed by Alexander Zverev during his absence, and another early defeat in New York could leave him vulnerable in the rankings once again.

Continue Reading

ATP Tour ATP Tour News

Wawrinka’s US Open wildcard wait goes on as withdrawals open the door

Withdrawals at Flushing Meadows may improve Stan Wawrinka’s chances of a final US Open wildcard.

Published

on

Stan Wawrinka is in the final year of his ATP Tour career, yet the US Open still has not handed him a wildcard. That remains the notable gap in a season that has otherwise brought the Swiss veteran plenty of late-career recognition.

Wawrinka has already confirmed that he will retire at the end of the 2026 season, and major tournaments have responded by granting him several wildcard entries. He has featured at all three Grand Slams this year, along with the Italian Open, the Monte Carlo Masters, the Barcelona Open, and the Dubai Tennis Championships.

The US Open, however, has not yet followed that pattern. Even so, the picture has changed after the latest withdrawals from Flushing Meadows. Ethan Quinn and Gabriel Diallo have both pulled out, and their departures have created room for Martin Damm Jr and Wu Yibing to move into the main draw.

That development matters because Damm Jr had been holding a wildcard for this year’s US Open. With his place now taken in the main draw, a wildcard could become available for a player still seeking direct access, including one of the tournament’s veterans.

Advertisement

Before Damm Jr’s move, only one wildcard remained, with Grigor Dimitrov and Wawrinka still waiting. There are now two, which strengthens Wawrinka’s prospects of appearing at what would be his final US Open.

Wawrinka and Dimitrov both received Wimbledon wildcards earlier this year, but their results diverged on grass. Wawrinka fell in the opening round after being drawn against Matteo Berrettini, while Dimitrov advanced to the fourth round. The Bulgarian beat Dane Sweeny, Jakub Mensik, and Berrettini before losing to wildcard Arthur Fery in the round of 16.

If Wawrinka is handed the wildcard, the three-time Grand Slam champion will get one last shot at the tournament he won in 2016, when he lifted the US Open title after defeating Juan Martin del Potro, Kei Nishikori, and Novak Djokovic.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending