ATP Cincinnati Open Masters
Sinner retires from Cincinnati final after five games, US Open preparation clouded
Sinner retired hurt after five games in Cincinnati final vs Alcaraz, raising doubts over US Open…

Jannik Sinner was forced to retire from the Cincinnati Masters final against Carlos Alcaraz after just five games, bringing immediate concern about his fitness ahead of the US Open.
The world No 1 appeared unsteady on his feet from the start and left the court in tears. Early signs suggested he was struggling with his right hip or thigh, and he conceded the match after being broken for a third time while 5-0 down in the opening set.
“I tried, but I can’t. I’m sorry for the fans,” Sinner said the medics as he confirmed he could not continue.
Sinner apologised to the crowd and explained the issue in more detail after the match. “I’m super sorry to disappoint you,” he said. “From yesterday, I didn’t feel great, I thought I would during the night, but it got worse.
“I tried to come out and make it a small match but I couldn’t handle more. I’m very sorry for all of you.
“I know some of you on Monday have to work or do something else, so I’m really sorry.
“I’m sorry to disappoint but sometimes it’s like this and we have to accept it.
“It’s been one of the hottest tournaments we have faced, so thank you for all of the support and organisation.
“Of course, Carlos congrats. Another title. Not the way you wanted to win, but it’s amazing what kind of season you’re producing. You and your whole team are doing amazing.
“Keep it up. I wish you only all the best for the U.S. Open and the rest of the season.”
Former Grand Slam doubles champion Ryan Harrison, who was commentating, suggested the problem could be an illness related to recent cases in the field. “We hope it’s nothing serious. We hope it’s just an illness. It could be due to fatigue. We saw it with Alexander Zverev,” he said. “It could be a stomachache because he was reaching down there.
“Sometimes an illness goes around the locker room. We have seen it before and maybe that is what it is this time. We wish Jannik well as the US Open is just a few days away now.”
Sinner’s early exit hands the Cincinnati title to Alcaraz but leaves a question mark over the Italian’s ability to compete at the US Open unless the issue resolves quickly.
ATP Player News US Open
Alcaraz describes knee check as a precaution after straight-sets US Open win
Alcaraz called his medical timeout a precaution after touching his knee in the second set. All fine.

Carlos Alcaraz dismissed concern after requesting a medical timeout during his third-round match at the US Open, saying the stop was purely preventive. The Spaniard defeated Lucas Darderi 6-2, 6-4, 6-0 to reach the last 32 at the New York event for the fourth time.
Mid-way through the second set Alcaraz appeared to feel his knee following what looked like an awkward service landing and signalled to his team. He asked the umpire for a medical timeout at the next changeover and received treatment from the physio before returning to the court.
Alcaraz closed the match strongly, breaking at 5-4 and winning the final seven games against Darderi.
“I’m feeling good,” Alcaraz clarified, during his post-match interview.
“It was just a precaution.
“I asked for the physio. I felt something that was not good in the knee, but after five or six points, it was gone.
“I just asked for the physio to take care of the knee because there was one serve left [in the second set] and I had to be ready, had to be good, had to feel good physically.
“It was a precaution. I will talk with my team but I’m not worried about it.”
The match was Alcaraz’s first day session at this year’s US Open, starting at 11:30AM. He arrived at the match in strong form, having won 33 of his last 34 matches and not dropping a set at the US Open so far.
“I tried to stay awake,” Alcaraz joked.
“That was important.
“We started at 11:30 so it’s good that I managed to play [my game]. My first goal was to start well, to start focused, with energy and a good rhythm, and I think I started pretty well. I pushed him to the limit.
“Tried to play long rallies and get a rhythm with the serve and return.
“And after that I just kept it going. Today I played such great tennis. It was such a great performance and I’m really proud about it.
“I’m not an early person so for me it’s difficult to wake up in the morning. That was one of the good things about today. I woke up early, did my warm up. Played good.”
Alcaraz will face Arthur Rinderknech in the fourth round. Rinderknech recently defeated world No 3 Alexander Zverev in the first round of Wimbledon and then endured a five-set battle with Alejandro Davidovich Fokina in his second round match in New York.
ATP Grand Slam US Open
Ben Shelton withdraws from US Open third round with acute shoulder injury
Ben Shelton retired from his US Open third-round match after an acute shoulder injury vs. Mannarino.

No. 6 seed Ben Shelton ended his US Open run in the third round after an acute shoulder injury forced him to retire. Shelton, who held a two-sets-to-one lead over Adrian Mannarino, alerted his father and coach Bryan during the match, saying, “I did something to my shoulder and I don’t know what it is,” and described feeling “in a lot of pain” before calling for a mid-game medical timeout.
Despite clearly compromised movement on several strokes, Shelton continued into the fourth set in the hope of closing the match. He was unable to sustain his level and made the emotional decision to stop competing when Mannarino returned from an off-court break and completed the set. The Frenchman won a tight sixth game in the fourth set that might have yielded a crucial break for Shelton, and he closed out that set on his sixth set point.
Shelton, 22, arrived at the tournament on the back of a breakthrough summer. He is a former US Open semifinalist and captured his first Masters 1000 title at the National Bank Open in Toronto earlier this season. He followed that victory with a quarterfinal showing at the Cincinnati Open and had dispatched Ignacio Buse and Pablo Carreño Busta in straight sets in the tournament’s opening rounds.
Mannarino, 37, a former world No. 17, was making his 15th main-draw appearance at the US Open and had never advanced beyond the third round until this match. The contest concluded with Shelton’s withdrawal, handing Mannarino the victory and ending what had been a promising evening for the young American.
Medical updates on Shelton’s shoulder were not provided here, and there was no further information released at the time of the retirement.
ATP Player News
Apostolos Tsitsipas criticises Ivanisevic’s public remarks and backs son’s potential
Apostolos Tsitsipas rebukes Ivanisevic’s public critiques and insists ‘the sky is the limit’. Update

Apostolos Tsitsipas, coach and father of world No 28 Stefanos Tsitsipas, has pushed back against public criticism from Goran Ivanisevic while reaffirming his belief that his son can still reach the sport’s highest levels.
Following Stefanos Tsitsipas’s second-round defeat at the French Open to Matteo Gigante, Ivanisevic was hired to join the team for the grass-court season. That collaboration lasted just two tournaments and unraveled after a first-round Wimbledon retirement to Valentin Royer, attributed to an apparent back issue. Shortly after, Ivanisevic made sharp public comments:
“[Tsitsipas ] wasn’t mentally or physically prepared at Wimbledon. Back problems, a million problems. I am three times fitter.”
The split was soon followed by the return of Apostolos to the coaching team after a prolonged absence. On the eve of the US Open he addressed Ivanisevic’s approach to airing concerns publicly. “I didn’t like that he expressed his opinions publicly,” Tsitsipas’ father admitted, in a pre-US Open interview with Clay Tenis .
He expanded on how such matters should have been handled:
“Probably Goran saw something he didn’t like. He should have identified it at the beginning of their professional relationship with Stefanos and discussed it personally with Stefanos and his team and tell him what he wants from him.
“Goran is a professional, I’m sure he has his own ideas, how to make things working, but definitely he should have done it personally with Stefanos.
“It’s interesting for the public to know about all these things, but the most important [thing] for the people is to see Stefanos playing good tennis.
“And the responsible about that are the members of his team. We are teachers. Coaches must create the right environment for the player to develop.”
Results have been difficult since the reconciliation. Tsitsipas has lost seven of his last 10 matches, including a second-round US Open loss to Daniel Altmaier, 7-6(5), 1-6, 4-6, 6-3, 7-5, leaving him without a third-round appearance at any Grand Slam in 2025.
Still, Apostolos remained optimistic: “The sky is the limit,” he added. “Every player have to dream big and have high goals, but also be careful not to live too much in the future.
“They need to stay present, execute, and keep their goals in mind while being fully involved in daily work.
On his physicality, he said: It’s good. I’m sure It can always be better, but you can’t measure these things exactly.
“It’s good (physically). I’m sure It can always be better, but you can’t measure these things exactly. Players have peaks, then they go a bit down. It’s not always flat.
“Right now, he is at his peak I believe. He can compete here, he should be ready because it’s a Grand Slam. We did everything we could.
“Of course, you can always add things, but tennis is not only physical, it’s also mental.”
-
Grand SlamPlayer NewsWimbledon1 month ago
Amanda Anisimova vows to return stronger after being ‘frozen’ with nerves during Wimbledon final defeat
-
Player NewsWTA1 month ago
Zheng Qinwen to take “short break” following elbow surgery
-
Grand SlamWimbledonWTA1 month ago
Slices, sabbaticals and a strong team key to SW19 success?