Connect with us

Eala’s rise has stunned even her own camp as Filipino support follows her across North America

Eala’s coach says Filipino support has exceeded expectations as her 2026 rise continues.

Published

on

Alex Eala’s coach has admitted the scale of her support has caught the team off guard, saying they “never thought” the young player would draw such overwhelming backing as Filipino fans follow her around North America.

Eala has turned 2026 into a breakthrough season. She has climbed to a new career-high of world No 18 after beginning the year at No 50, and her results have come quickly and emphatically.

Her biggest moment so far came at the Washington Open, where she won her maiden WTA Tour singles title by defeating American Jessica Pegula in the final. That victory made her the first player from the Philippines to win a WTA singles title.

A few weeks earlier, she had already made history by becoming the first player from her country to reach the second week of a Grand Slam, doing so at Wimbledon after beating defending champion Iga Swiatek. That run helped her collect the WTA’s Star of the Grass-Court Swing award, while she also added the WTA 125 title in Birmingham and reached the semi-finals in Berlin.

Advertisement

Her season has not just been about trophies. In 2026, she has also earned six wins over opponents ranked inside the world’s top 10.

Bosch, who has worked with Eala since 2023, said he believed a major step forward was possible after the pre-season and early tournaments. “We were positive because she had a good pre-season and I was super happy with the way that she played in New Zealand,” Bosch analysed.

She later reached the fourth round in Toronto before losing to Belinda Bencic, then fell to ninth seed Amanda Anisimova in a close three-set third-round match at the Cincinnati Open.

Bosch said the crowd response has been extraordinary, but also demanding. “We could never think this would be like this,” added Bosch.

Advertisement

“We are super happy with the way that the Filipino community and fans are. Everywhere we go, they are there. This morning on the plane, we found a few Filipinos; they went from Washington to see Alex in Toronto again.

“It’s so nice to see how they really believe in her and how they have this passion on the court when she is playing.

“The court in Toronto was full every day when she was playing. For us, it is even sometimes scary, because it’s tough to always have the best level.

“This was a tough week for Alex because she won Washington, she played the final on Monday, and we just travelled on Tuesday. It was not easy to handle. I am happy that she could do a good two matches in the first two matches.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Rusedski backs wide-open US Open race and predicts Eala breakthrough

Rusedski doubts Sabalenka can recover in time, while backing Eala to go further at the US Open.

Published

on

With the women’s race at this year’s US Open appearing increasingly open, Greg Rusedski has made two striking predictions less than a week before the final Grand Slam of 2026.

Aryna Sabalenka arrives in New York as both defending champion and world No 1, yet her build-up has been clouded by a difficult summer in Europe. After completing the Sunshine Double with hard-court victories at Indian Wells and Miami, she looked like the player to beat. Since then, however, her campaign has been damaged by painful defeats that ended her hopes at the French Open and Wimbledon. Losses in Toronto and Cincinnati before the US Open have only deepened the sense that she is not in peak form.

Rusedski, the former British No 1 and former finalist, believes the turnaround may not come in time for another run to the title. “I don’t think she can turn it around,” Rusedski told talkSPORT via his podcast. “She went out early in Cincinnati and she has not been as mentally strong as usual.

“We thought at the beginning of the year when she reached the Australian Open final that she would have a couple of majors in the bag by the time she got to the US Open, but it hasn’t happened. She really has come off the rails.

Advertisement

“The women’s draw is wide open. We’ve see Iga Swiatek come back to win in Canada, Coco Gauff and Jessica Pegula got the finals in Cincinnati and it’s wide open for the US Open.”

Rusedski was equally firm in his support for Filipina standout Alex Eala, saying the 21-year-old can make a major impact in New York after her Wimbledon run.

“There is one big superstar coming through on the WTA Tour and it’s Eala,” added Rusedski.

“She is really saving the WTA Tour at the moment and she is a breath of fresh air for the sport.

Advertisement

“She’s going to be seeded for the US Open and that should help her to get through the first couple of rounds. After that, I’m backing her to better her performance at Wimbledon.

“Eala had the best result for any player from the Philippines when she reached the last-16 at Wimbledon and I think she can do even better at the US Open and reach the quarter-finals or better.”

Continue Reading

Alcaraz faces scrutiny as US Open return draws doubt

Alcaraz plans a US Open return despite wrist concerns and criticism from leading voices.

Published

on

Carlos Alcaraz has made clear that he intends to return at the US Open, even as several of the sport’s biggest voices have urged caution after his wrist injury. The Spaniard has not played a competitive match since hurting his wrist at the Barcelona Open in April, and his decision to target New York has already sparked debate.

Andy Roddick and Greg Rusedski are among those who have questioned the wisdom of coming back in a best-of-five-set Grand Slam so soon. Alcaraz had already withdrawn from this week’s Cincinnati Open after admitting that his wrist had not fully healed, but he has since confirmed that he will play the US Open mixed doubles alongside Serena Williams. He has also suggested that he will enter the singles draw as well.

Rusedski, the 1997 US Open runner-up, said he was baffled by the plan. “Why would you start back with a wrist injury in three out of five sets?” asked Rusedski on the latest edition of his podcast.

He added: “Maybe he’s thinking three out of five sets, I can win him in straight sets, I can build myself up, I got a day off in between every match, but I think it’s a huge risk. I would be very surprised if he plays in the singles.

Advertisement

“I hope he’s able to play the US Open, but I’m not sure this is the smartest thing, unless it’s just a publicity stunt and he’s just gonna play in the mixed doubles and then not even play the singles. Who knows? We don’t know until he shows up in the blocks for the opening first round match in New York what’s gonna happen.”

Alcaraz’s decision comes shortly after Jannik Sinner confirmed he will miss the final Grand Slam of 2026 to protect his long-term health. The contrast between the two leading men has been hard to ignore.

If Alcaraz does compete in singles and comes through the event with another US Open title, the choice will be vindicated. If not, the questions about whether he returned too soon will only grow louder.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Grand Slam

Alcaraz and Williams added as US Open mixed doubles field takes shape

Alcaraz and Williams headline a mixed doubles field taking shape for the 2026 US Open.

Published

on

Fourteen of the 16 teams for the 2026 US Open mixed doubles have now been set, with Carlos Alcaraz and Serena Williams among the newest pairings confirmed.

After last year’s revamped format delivered strong interest, US Open organisers have kept the competition on the same schedule, placing it before the singles main draw. The winning team will again play for $1,000,000, and the draw has already attracted attention through several headline pairings.

Last year’s field included Iga Swiatek with Casper Ruud, Emma Raducanu with Carlos Alcaraz, Jessica Pegula with Jack Draper, and Elena Rybakina with Taylor Fritz. That approach created plenty of buzz during Fan Week, though the title ultimately went to the doubles specialists Sara Errani and Andrea Vavassori, who defended their crown.

For 2026, Aryna Sabalenka and Novak Djokovic are expected to be the top seeds based on combined singles rankings. Pegula and Fritz will team up after Draper’s injury rules him out, while Rybakina’s own fitness remains uncertain after she picked up an injury before the tournament.

Advertisement

Swiatek and Ruud are back after finishing runner-up in 2025, while Belinda Bencic and Flavio Cobolli, Amanda Anisimova and Learner Tien, have also formed new combinations. Diana Shnaider is listed as a confirmed entrant, although her partner has not yet been named.

Among the wildcard teams, Errani and Vavassori will try to win a third straight title in New York. Alex Eala and Felix Auger-Aliassime also stand out, and Auger-Aliassime said: “It’s a great opportunity because obviously I didn’t play last year, but this time around to kind of feel what it’s like to have the Eala effect and fan base behind me,” and “It’s going to be it’s going to be funny because she’s younger than me, but she has a fan base, right? Like she’s carrying the crowd. So, it’s going to be interesting.”

Two more places will be decided through qualifying on 24 August, with the mixed doubles event scheduled for 25-26 August at Flushing Meadows.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending