Connect with us

Challenger 175 Challenger Tour Copa Faulcombridge

Cerundolo and Kecmanovic Secure Challenger 175 Crowns Ahead of Roland Garros

Cerundolo and Kecmanovic each won a Challenger 175 title this week, heading into Roland Garros 2026.

Published

on

Two headline performances on the ATP Challenger Tour produced late momentum for players heading into Roland Garros. At the Copa Faulconbridge in Valencia and the BNP Paribas Primrose Bordeaux, both Challenger 175 events, Juan Manuel Cerundolo and Miomir Kecmanovic captured titles with composed finishes.

In Valencia, seventh-seeded Miomir Kecmanovic overcame Adolfo Daniel Vallejo 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 on a sunny Sunday at Club de Tenis Valencia. Playing in front of a packed Centre Court, the 26-year-old Belgrade native controlled the first set by dictating tempo and keeping unforced errors low. Vallejo, 22, answered in the second set with increased aggression to level the match, but Kecmanovic regained control in the decider, serving with authority and winning 74% of his first-serve points. The final lasted one hour and 55 minutes. Kecmanovic collected €43,635 and 175 ATP ranking points, moving back into the Top 50. The title is his third on the ATP Challenger Tour in addition to two ATP Tour titles in Kitzbühel in 2020 and Delray Beach last year.

“I am proud of the fight, the team, and the work behind the scenes,” Kecmanovic said afterwards. “Thank you to everyone who supported me throughout the tournament. I am grateful to lift a trophy again.”

In Bordeaux, Juan Manuel Cerundolo emerged victorious at the BNP Paribas Primrose Bordeaux, defeating Raphael Collignon in a dramatic three-set final. Collignon took the opening set 7-5, but Cerundolo responded by dominating the second 6-1. The deciding set remained tight, with both players holding serve through long rallies before a tie-break decided the match. Cerundolo produced a memorable lob to move ahead 6-4 in the breaker and closed out the victory after two hours and 37 minutes. The Buenos Aires native earned €43,635 and 175 ATP ranking points, notching his 12th ATP Challenger Tour title and his first of the season while rising to a career-high world No. 54.

Advertisement

“I am very happy to win the title here in Bordeaux. It was an amazing match and a great battle with a lot of long rallies,” Cerundolo said after the final. “It was a great match for me. I came back from a set down. That makes it even better.”

ATP Challenger 175 Copa Faulcombridge

Bordeaux and Valencia: Final Challenger Clay Stops Before Roland Garros

Final clay Challengers in Bordeaux and Valencia offer rank points, prize money and Paris prep. Soon.

Published

on

Two high-quality Challenger events on clay provide the last major preparation for Roland Garros this week, with the BNP Paribas Primrose in Bordeaux and the Copa Faulconbridge in Valencia offering 175 ATP ranking points to each champion and €272,272 in prize money apiece. Both draws assemble a mix of established ATP names, in-form contenders and rising prospects.

In Bordeaux, top seed Arthur Rinderknech is the headline attraction. The French No. 2, ranked world No. 24, received a wild card and arrives off a string of strong ATP Tour performances this season, making him among the leading favorites on home soil. Former world No. 3 Grigor Dimitrov, the 34-year-old Bulgarian, brings experience and flair to the clay and opens against a qualifier; the winner of that match would face Rinderknech in round two.

The French Tennis Federation also awarded a wild card to 17-year-old Moïse Kouamé, ranked No. 313, who will make his Challenger main-draw debut against Benjamin Bonzi. Second seed Tallon Griekspoor anchors the bottom half; the 31-year-old Dutchman reached the final of the ATP 500 in Dubai earlier this season, recording wins over Andrey Rublev and Jakub Menšík, and will face the winner of the Kouamé-Bonzi encounter. Defending champion Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard returns, and French contingents also include Terence Atmane, Alexandre Muller, Quentin Halys and Luca Van Assche.

In Valencia, the Copa Faulconbridge is led by world No. 35 Alejandro Tabilo. After a first-round bye Tabilo awaits the winner of Aleksandar Kovacevic and Daniel Mérida. The Levante draw also features Camilo Ugo Carabelli, Sebastian Baez, Jan-Lennard Struff, Zizou Bergs and second-seeded Jaume Munar.

Advertisement

Spanish interest is strong with Roberto Bautista Agut, Pedro Martinez, Bernabé Zapata Miralles and Nicolás Álvarez Varona competing. Zapata Miralles, a Valencia native, received a wild card and will bring his professional career to a close at home when he faces 22-year-old Adolfo Daniel Vallejo in the first round.

Off court, the Copa Faulconbridge honored the Sánchez Vicario family during an official tournament dinner. The ceremony, attended by Emilio and Marisa Sánchez Vicario, included the announcement that Court 2 will officially carry the name “Pista Sánchez Vicario” for the tournament in recognition of the family’s contribution to the sport.

Continue Reading

Challenger 175 Challenger Tour Sardegna Open

Arnaldi triumphs in Sardegna; Tabilo completes repeat in Aix

Arnaldi claims Sardegna Open; Tabilo secures second Aix title, both regain confidence and momentum..

Published

on

Matteo Arnaldi finally delivered a home victory at the Sardegna Open, beating Hubert Hurkacz 6-4, 6-4 to lift the title on the clay of the Tennis Club Cagliari. The 25-year-old from Sanremo claimed his fifth ATP Challenger crown and did so after a week in which he regained rhythm, confidence and his physical form following a persistent foot problem.

In front of a sold-out Centre Court, Arnaldi fought back in both sets, immediately answering whenever Hurkacz threatened to seize momentum. He neutralized the Pole’s power with steady returns and variation, breaking back each time he trailed and then taking control when the breaks arrived. The decisive passage came at 4-3 in the second set, when Hurkacz had his last real chance. Arnaldi held and served out the match to love, sealing victory with a forehand winner and a roar of relief.

“It was a special tournament,” said Arnaldi, who earned €43,635 in prize money as well as 175 ATP Ranking points. “I arrived with a lot of doubts because of my foot, but I felt better day by day. In the last two days, I had no pain at all. The final was definitely my best match of the week. I was very solid and really happy with my level against such an experienced and dangerous opponent. This title gives me a lot of confidence.”

Over in Southern France, Alejandro Tabilo captured the Open Aix Provence Crédit Agricole title for a second time, overcoming Zizou Bergs 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 in a three-set final. The No. 2 seed withstood nine aces, broke serve three times and closed the match in two hours and 18 minutes. The ATP Challenger 175 event drew 30,000 spectators across the week and showcased two top-50 players, with Tabilo at No. 43 and Bergs at No. 44.

Advertisement

The 28-year-old added a seventh ATP Challenger title to his record and repeated his success in Aix after his 2024 triumph. “It was a very tough match,” Tabilo said afterwards. “Zizou serves very well, he’s extremely solid and mentally strong. I really like playing in Aix-en-Provence. I already won here two years ago. It’s a place where I feel comfortable. I came here to earn points, and this week has given me a lot of confidence.”

Continue Reading

ATP Challenger 175 Challenger Tour

From Challengers to the Top: Early Tour Wins That Shaped Today’s Stars

Challenger victories that launched careers: Alcaraz, Sinner, Bublik, Mensik and Tsitsipas. Exclusive

Published

on

The ATP Challenger circuit remains the proving ground for players who later dominate the main tour. Recent interviews with leading names underline how first Challenger titles provided a foundation of confidence and match experience long before Grand Slam or Masters glory.

Over the past few months, we caught up with some of the most celebrated Champions in men’s tennis and spoke to them about their very first triumphs on the Challenger circuit. For many, that initial title was a defining professional milestone.

Carlos Alcaraz reflected on the pathway explicitly. “It is a step you’ve got to make if you want to get through to the ATP Tour,” Alcaraz tells us. His first Challenger title came in Trieste, Italy in August 2020, a win that preceded his rise to the highest levels of the sport.

Alexander Bublik stressed the extra pressure younger players face. “Pressure will be more than usual on the Challenger Tour, and that’s where a lot of young players break,” says Bublik. His own first Challenger crown was in Morelos, Mexico in February 2017.

Advertisement

Jannik Sinner recalled the immediate lessons of competing above his usual level. “I arrived the night before and I played against a Top 500 player. And I [had] never won against a Top 500 player,” says the now-world No. 1. Sinner took his first Challenger title in Bergamo, Italy in February 2019.

Other recent winners described local significance and survival skills. “We don’t have any ATP Tour events in the Czech republic, so it was the highest tournament category I could win in my home country,” explains Mensik after his Prague triumph in May 2023. “These matches taught me how to survive,” says Tsitsipas, recalling his Genova title from September 2017.

This series highlights how Challenger victories act as both confidence builders and classroom matches. Grigor Dimitrov and Stan Wawrinka are wild-card entrants in this week’s loaded Challenger 175 in Aix-en-Provence, France. Expect further profiles that trace the early titles behind today’s top performers and attention on this week’s Challenger events in Aix-en-Provence and Cagliari.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending