ITF Player News W35
Bianca Andreescu wins first title since 2019 with ITF W35 victory in Bradenton
Bianca Andreescu won an ITF W35 in Bradenton, ending her long title drought and returning to form…
Bianca Andreescu captured an ITF W35 title in Bradenton, Florida, choosing the event over an attempt to qualify for the Australian Open as part of a planned three-tournament stretch in the Sunshine State. The 25-year-old returned to the winner’s circle for the first time since her 2019 US Open triumph.
Andreescu finished 2025 ranked No. 227 after a year marked by health setbacks and difficulty building momentum. As the top seed in Bradenton, she was extended to three sets in her opening match by Malkia Ngounoue, older sister of Clervie, then won nine consecutive sets to reach the final.
In Sunday’s championship match Andreescu held off fifth-seeded Vivian Wolff, 6-2, 7-5, to claim the title. The victorious week is projected to move her back inside the Top 200 for now, with the next set of WTA rankings to be published following the Australian Open.
“I haven’t won a tournament in a really long time, so this one definitely means a lot. It hasn’t been an easy journey,” she said in a social media video for the host venue Inspiration Academy.
Andreescu did not appear in the main draws at any of the four Grand Slam events in 2025. She fell in qualifying at Roland Garros and Wimbledon while missing the two hard-court majors due to setbacks. Her most notable result last year came in Rome, where she reached the fourth round and recorded Top 20 wins over Elena Rybakina and Donna Vekic. She later beat Barbora Krejcikova in Montreal but suffered torn ankle ligaments for the second time in her career.
The Bradenton title offers a measured return to match wins for the former world No. 4 and a chance to build form in the early weeks of the 2026 season.
ATP Challenger Tour ITF
Darwin Blanch: American 18-year-old aiming for a Challenger crown and Next Gen spot
Eighteen-year-old Darwin Blanch eyes a first Challenger title after steady progress on tour. in 2026
At 18, Darwin Blanch is moving quickly through the early stages of a professional career. The Boca Raton native has reached a career-high ranking of world No. 228 and collected two ITF World Tennis Tour titles in 2025. He was runner-up at the Knoxville Challenger last year and reached the semifinals at the Sarasota Open and, most recently, at the Danube Upper Austria Open.
A former junior world No. 4, Blanch grew up in a tennis family alongside siblings Ulises, Dali and Krystal. His development unfolded across different countries: practicing on a backyard court in Thailand with his brothers until age eight, then training in Argentina, Spain and the United States. He is now based in Florida at the USTA National Campus and has entered a new phase working with former world No. 15 Juan Ignacio Chela.
“I left the Ferrero Tennis Academy in Alicante last year and now I practice at the USTA in Florida,” Blanch explained following his semifinal run at the Danube Upper Austria Open in Mauthausen two weeks ago. “I started working with my coach Juan Ignacio Chela in November. I’m really enjoying it and learning a lot. We have a great relationship. I felt I needed someone who has played at the top level and understands what I’m feeling during matches – especially emotionally.”
On court, Blanch says he prefers to take charge. “I have a good serve and forehand,” he said. “I’m very energetic on court — that’s how I want to see myself.”
The jump from juniors to the professional tour has required adjustment. “The biggest challenge is maintaining a high level throughout a match,” he said. “At this level, if your level drops for even ten minutes, the match can be over.”
He has also found comfort on European clay while keeping hard courts as his preferred surface. “I feel comfortable on European clay, but my favorite surface is still hard court,” he admitted. “That said, Americans are improving on clay. You can see it — Ben Shelton won in Munich. It’s not our natural surface, but we’re getting better.”
Away from competition he balances routines and downtime. “Sometimes you have time in the afternoon, so I like to go into the city, walk around, maybe do some shopping or grab a coffee,” he said. “I like video games. I play a lot with my friends — mostly FIFA. I’m really good at it,” he said with a smile. “I’m also a big football fan and support FC Barcelona. Unfortunately, we got knocked out of the Champions League.”
Family support remains central. “Honestly, it’s kind of a mess sometimes,” he laughed. “There are days when all four of us are playing, and my parents don’t know who to watch. But it’s fun. We text a lot, and it’s great to have that support. My oldest brother Ulises has the most experience, and he helps me a lot with advice.”
With momentum building, Blanch set a clear target for the season. “My goal this year is to win a Challenger title,” he said. “I made a final last year, and I believe I have the level to win one.”
Billie Jean King Cup Finals ITF
U.S. eliminated from Billie Jean King Cup qualifying after 3-1 loss to Belgium
U.S. eliminated from Billie Jean King Cup qualifying after 3-1 loss to Belgium in Ostend. Shenzhen .
The United States will not compete for a place at the Billie Jean King Cup Finals after a 3-1 defeat to Belgium in Ostend. Belgium’s captain Wim Fissette watched Greet Minnen secure the tie with a straight-sets victory over Iva Jovic, completing the deciding match on Sunday.
Making her event debut, 18-year-old Iva Jovic lost twice for her nation. She was beaten by Hanne Vandewinkel, 7-6 (3), 6-3 on Friday and then fell 7-5, 6-3 to Minnen when Belgium closed out the tie.
The U.S. fell into an early deficit when McCartney Kessler was forced to retire at 3-3 against Elise Mertens because of a back injury. That retirement handed Belgium a 2-0 lead before the Americans responded on Saturday, when Caty McNally and Nicole Melichar-Martinez each won to put the team on the scoreboard.
U.S. captain Lindsay Davenport reflected on the tie afterwards. “We tried really hard all week to find our groove and to figure out how we were gonna play, how we’re gonna get three points.But Belgium played so well. They had a great crowd here,” she said.
“We just never quite got to playing our best. We got a little bit of, obviously, bad luck with McCartney. She was playing great. We felt like she had really seized momentum in that match when things started to go the other way. But we’ll keep working. It’s a process for sure.”
Italy led the other successful nations in qualifying, and September’s Billie Jean King Cup Finals will once again be staged in Shenzhen. The U.S., a record 18-time champion, will not be among the teams contesting the Finals this year.
Governing Bodies ITF Player News
Tennis Kenya accepts mistake after viral W35 wildcard performance
Tennis Kenya says a wildcard for Hajar Abdelkader was wrongly granted after a viral 37-minute match.
Tennis Kenya has acknowledged an error in awarding a main-draw wildcard after video of Hajar Abdelkader’s performance at an ITF W35 event drew widespread attention.
The 21-year-old Egyptian lost her first-round match 6-0, 6-0 in 37 minutes, winning three points. The match footage showed persistent serving problems, including 20 double faults, and at one point she appeared to need direction on where to stand to serve.
Tennis Kenya, which is hosting the W35 tournament, issued a statement addressing concerns about the decision to grant the wildcard. The organization’s statement said it was “aware of concerns” raised about Abdelkader’s participation.
“In hindsight, Tennis Kenya acknowledges that this wildcard should not have been granted. The federation has taken note of this experience and will ensure that such an extremely rare occurrence never happens again,” it said in a statement Thursday.
The federation explained the circumstances that produced the available slot. “The slot became available following a short notice withdrawal by the originally awarded main draw wildcard recipient, who opted into the qualifying draw,” the statement said. “At the time, Ms Abdelkader was the only other player who had requested a wildcard, and the decision was taken on the information provided and in the interest of maintaining a full and balanced draw while supporting the development of tennis in Africa.”
Tennis Kenya added that the wildcard had been issued based on information provided by the player. “In this instance, Ms Abdelkader indicated that she had an appropriate level of competitive playing experience, and the wildcard was issued based on the information provided.”
The federation indicated it will use this episode to review procedures around discretionary entries. The match has prompted debate about wildcard standards and the balance between developing regional players and preserving competitive integrity at professional events.
-
ATPGrand SlamWimbledon2 months agoWimbledon to introduce video review on six courts for 2026
-
1000Miami OpenMiami Open WTA2 months agoMiami Final Underlines Coco Gauff’s Progress and Clay-Court Promise
-
ATPMastersMiami Open2 months agoThe Big T Episode 13: Golden Glizzy, Swiatek’s split, Fonseca’s tests and Jovic’s climb
